Mushroom tacos are the vegetarian version of carne asada tacos; marinated portobello mushrooms with a smokey mesquite olive oil, grilled pineapples and avocado crema. Enjoy a tasty, quick, and easy meatless meal during your next Taco Tuesday!
If you're craving tacos, then you have to try more taco recipes. So after you devour these mushroom asada tacos, try my Blackened Shrimp Tacos, Blackened Fish Tacos, and this Pan Seared Fish Tacos recipe.
Portobello mushroom tacos are a treat for your taste buds. Mushrooms are marinated and then sauteed until they are perfectly tender and savory. The sweetness of juicy grilled pineapples balances those flavors and a quick homemade avocado crema adds a burst of freshness.
Prepare your taste buds for an ultimate ride on the flavor train because these are the best mushroom tacos.x
Why You'll Love this Mushroom Tacos Recipe
- A Healthy Alternative.
- Affordable. With the price of groceries skyrocketing, buying a bag of mushrooms is far cheaper than purchasing beef, chicken, or pork.
- Delicious Vegetarian Meal. Replace meat protein with this vegetable that has a taste and texture similar to a juicy steak. I prefer it to other meat alternatives like tofu. With tasty marinated mushrooms together with a warm tortilla and toppings that truly take the tacos to the next level, you'll never wonder why these babies are meatless! Yum!
Can you put mushrooms in tacos?
You can and should add mushrooms to your tacos. This taco is completely mea
tless, hence the mushrooms replacing the "meat" of this taco.
Portobello mushrooms are marinated in steak-like flavors to provide a salty, earthy and tangy flavor similar to most carne asada style flavors. Similarly to the traditional Mexican dish, these carne asada mushrooms tacos taste buttery, juicy, and slightly charred!
Mushroom Taco Ingredients
Attempting to make more plant-based recipes at home? Get festive and prepare these carne asada mushroom tacos! Filled with marinated portobello mushrooms, grilled pineapple, pickled red onion, jalapeno, and avocado crema.
Marinated Carne Asada Mushrooms
- Portobello Mushrooms. These provide a distinct "meaty" flavor, especially the way they are prepared in this recipe.
- Harissa Seasoning. This is a Tunisian sun-dried chili paste.
- Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder.
- Liquid Smoke. This replicates that smoky flavor without a smoker.
- Smokey Mesquite Olive Oil. Liquid.
- Steak Sauce. Usually used to season steak, it's understandable why we would use it for this recipe. Some brands contain anchovies so be sure to read the ingredient list if you are vegetarian.
What is Smokey Mesquite Olive Oil?
Great question! You certainly do not have to use an infused olive oil, regular olive will work just fine. However, if you're interested in leveling up your olive oil stash, I have to share about Emblem Olive Oil.
Just within the last year, I have decided to take my health more serious. While it's certainly a journey and not a destination, one of the choices I've made is to start with purchasing quality ingredients. What better place to start than with cooking oils!
Emblem is on a mission to bring the health benefit and exquisite flavor of US Olive Oil to diverse populations as the only black female-owned olive oil company in the US. Not to mention, the owner of Emblem is a native of my hometown in Macon, GA!
With that said, the Smokey Mesquite Olive Oil is loaded with a smokey flavor that I thought paired well with the mushroom tacos. This oil is perfect for grilling and paired well with the mushrooms.
While this topping is certainly optional if you're looking to stay dairy free. I strongly urge you to not omit this as there's a substitute that can make this sauce dairy free.
- Avocado. Use a ripe avocado for easy mixing and the best flavor.
- Mexican Sour Cream. For a rich, creamy texture.
- Lime Wedge. Lime adds a pop of fresh citrus flavor that complements the avocado.
- Salt. To taste.
Mushroom Taco Toppings
What makes these tacos festive are the toppings that uniquely pair so well! From the combo of sweet, savory and tangy, again, it'll leave your tastebuds totally satisfied!
- Cilantro. Roughly chopped.
- Pickled Onion. Pickled red onions are onions mixed in a vinegar, sugar and salt solution leaving a salty and tangy flavor much like dill pickles. These fermented babies are even rich in vitamin B9! Try my easy pickled red onions recipe.
- Queso Crumbling Cheese OR Cotija Cheese. Cotija cheese is a Mexican cheese used in several staple dishes. It's soft, salty, and tangy. Queso crumbling cheese is similar in texture but milder in flavor.
- Grilled Pineapple. Pineapples are grilled releasing a juicy flavor that provides a sweet note you didn't know you needed!
- Jalapeno. Add this for a kick of spicy flavor. Deseeded and thinly sliced.
WHAT TYPE OF FLAVOR DOES THE CILANTRO PROVIDE?
Coriander also known as cilantro is a leafy herb used in many dishes throughout the world. As a matter of fact, the leaves are considered "cilantro" while its seeds are considered the "coriander". Used in soups, salads, and traditional mexican dishes; people who find cilantro pleasing to taste describe the flavor as earthy, citrusy and slightly spicy.
How to Make Portobello Mushroom Tacos
Let's go over how to make mushroom tacos. It takes a but of prep time but the final product makes it so worth it!
Start by marinating the mushrooms. In a medium-sized bowl, add mushrooms, harissa powder, liquid smoke, steak sauce and Smokey Mesquite Olive Oil. Stir until well combined and let it marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
While the portobello mushrooms marinate, prepare the pickled red onions.
How to Make Avocado Crema
In a medium bowl using one ripe avocado, smash the avocado until smooth. Next, add the dairy or nondairy ingredient of your choice, such as greek yogurt, sour cream, or vegan sour cream, and stir until well combined.
Then add fresh lime juice and a pinch of coarse salt. Stir one final time, taste and adjust seasonings and set aside until further use.
Add sliced pineapples to a grilling pan on high heat. Flip every 15-30 seconds until the pineapple softens and chars. Set aside until taco assembly.
Tortilla Cooking Instructions
Add tortillas to a medium pan on high heat. Flip every 10-15 seconds until charred and crispy. Then set aside in a warm place until taco assembly.
How to Cook Mushrooms for Tacos
After the mushrooms have marinated, add them to a frying pan on medium-high heat with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil. Sauté the mushrooms until tender and fragrant.
After about 5-6 minutes mushrooms should be fully cooked through.
Assemble Crispy Mushroom Tacos
Begin with your warm, crunchy tortilla and fill with 2-3 tablespoons of the cooked mushrooms. Add about 1 tablespoon of avocado crema.
Then top each taco with cilantro, pickled onion, queso crumbling cheese, grilled pineapple, lettuce and jalapeno. Finally, serve with a lime wedge, and enjoy!
Recipe Variations & Substitutes
- Mushrooms. You can substitute portobello with oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or porcini mushrooms.
- Even More Filling. For added protein and fiber, add refried beans.
- Avocado Crema. If you're looking for a healthier dairy-based solution to replace sour cream, try plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or buttermilk. For dairy-free options, try cashew sour cream, vegan sour cream, or coconut milk (or coconut cream).
- Cheese. Instead of cotija cheese, you can use feta cheese, romano, or parmesan cheese as substitutes. But you can certainly omit the cheese for dairy-free, vegan mushroom tacos.
- Cilantro. If you are not a fan of cilantro, you can certainly omit them or use these fresh herbs as a tasty substitute: parsley, basil, fresh oregano, dill, and tarragon.
What can I serve with mushroom tacos?
Enjoy them as is or serve portobello mushroom tacos with corn salsa, cilantro rice, and refried beans. You can also serve them with one of my margaritas (Sangria Margarita, Margarita Boozy Pops, and Jalapeno Pineapple Margarita).
How long do mushroom tacos last?
Store leftover mushroom taco fillings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store pickled onions and avocado crema separately in airtight containers or mason jars in the refrigerator.
The sauce lasts up to 5 days and the onions for up to 3 weeks. When ready to reheat, place the mushroom taco filling in the microwave for 1 to 1.5 minutes. Warm up fresh tortillas.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS EASY MUSHROOM TACOS RECIPE!
Carne Asada Mushroom Tacos
Carne Asada Mushrooms
- 2.5 cups Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 tsp Harissa Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 2 tablespoon Steak Sauce
- ¼ cup Smokey Mesquite Olive Oil or regular olive oil (see blog post)
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tablespoon Mexican Sour Cream
- 1 Lime Wedge
- Salt to Taste
- ½ cup Cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 cup Pickled Onion
- ⅓ cup Queso Crumbling Cheese
- 4 slices Grilled Pineapple
- 1 Jalapeno deseeded and thinly sliced
"Carne Asada" Mushrooms Marinade Preparation
- In a shallow bowl add shiitake mushrooms, liquid smoke, A.1. Sauce, Smokey Mesquite Olive Oil, harissa powder and additional seasonings, stir until well combined.
- Allow mushrooms to marinate for at least 15 minutes. (1 hour for best results)
Cooking Instructions for Toppings
- See blog post above for my pickled red onion recipe!
- Deseed avocado and place in a small to medium sized bowl.
- Add sour cream, stir until smooth and well combined.
- Add lime juice and salt to taste.
- Set aside until taco assembly.
- In a grilling pan on high heat, add sliced pineapple.
- Flip every 15-30 seconds until pineapple becomes soft and charred.
- Set aside until taco assembly.
Tortilla Cooking Instructions
- In a medium pan on high heat. Add tortillas and flip every 10-15 seconds until charred and crispy.
- Set aside in a warm place until taco assembly.
Mushroom Cooking Instructions
- After mushrooms have marinated, on medium to high heat in a frying pan, add 1 teaspoon of cooking oil and sauté mushrooms until tender and fragrant.
- After about 5-6 minutes mushrooms should be fully cooked through, set aside until taco assembly.
- Begin with your warm, crunchy tortilla and fill with 2-3 tablespoons of the cooked mushrooms.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of avocado crema.
- Top with cilantro, pickled onion, queso crumbling cheese, grilled pineapple, lettuce and jalapeno.
- Serve with a lime wedge and enjoy!