This one pot, guilt-free sweet and savory dish is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. This Chicken, Apple, Butternut Squash Bake is filled with chunks of butternut squash, bacon and apples, topped with pan seared chicken thighs.Jump to Recipe
THE PERFECT DINNER TO BRING IN FALL!
My life is pretty much centered around food! As a matter of fact, I crave and eat meals according to the season. This Chicken, Apple, Butternut Squash Bake gives all the comfort feels to bring in the fall season. Savory and sweet dishes are one of my favorites and this dish has the perfect mix! Additionally, this Chicken, Apple, Butternut Squash Bake is the perfect weeknight meal for your family and even your pickiest eaters will enjoy this flavorful dish!
Following me over on Instagram, would love to connect with you there!
With fall here, it means families are busy managing work life and getting homework complete before dinner. Carving out time to create meals falls lower on the list meaning quick meals are most important. This one pot bake is cooked from start to finish in under thirty minutes! Moreover, this meal proves you can create healthy and flavorful dishes and not waste a lot of time preparing it!
THE HIDDEN INGREDIENT IN THIS DISH!
There's always an ingredient in a dish that steals the show and fresh sage really compliments the ingredients in this dish. In fact, I haven't always liked sage but as my taste buds develop, it's becoming a favorite herb. If you've never cooked with sage, it's flavor profile is distinct but brings warm notes of pepper with a slight bitter aftertaste. Trust me, if you to try this dish and have been apprehensive about sage, your thoughts will change!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED?
With just a handful of ingredients you may already have in the pantry, this dish has just a few ingredients! Such as:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs- You can substitute chicken or andouille sausage or chicken drumettes or breasts! Just adjust cooking time based on your protein.
- Butternut Squash- I used the pre cut packaged kind, by all means save yourself some time!
- Granny Smith Apple- In this case any style apple will work, use what you have on hand.
- Bacon- I used applewood smoked bacon and bake mine in the oven, there's no other way to cook good bacon, trust me! For example, the bacon remains in tact and doesn't shrivel up, that alone is a sure indicator to bake it.
- Fresh Sage-This is one of the stars of the show to emphasize, do not omit and give it a try.
- Your favorite season all- here's my favorite!
LET'S GET RIGHT INTO THE RECIPE!
First, prepare bacon according to package instructions by baking at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Second, peel and small dice apple, set aside. Next, remove bacon from pan and place on a rack or paper towels to drain, crumble and set aside.
Bring oven temperature down to 375 degrees. Generously season chicken thighs with favorite season all being careful not to oversalt. To explain, the bacon will render salt on it's own and add a salty flavor throughout.
Third, in a large sauté pan on high heat, add one teaspoon of oil, brown chicken thighs on both sides (chicken will finish cooking in oven). It is equally important to note to only turn the chicken once during the process. Furthermore, do not disturb the chicken during this browning process. Remove from heat and set aside.
In the same sauté pan on medium/high heat, sauté squash in one teaspoon of oil until slightly tender, adding salt and pepper to taste. Add apples and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes until apples and butternut squash begin to break down.
In a baking dish or oven safe pan, combine sautéed butternut squash, apples, sage and bacon. Add chicken thighs to the top of the mixture and bake for 20 minutes at 375 until chicken is done and mixture ingredients are roasted and soft if pierced with a fork.
Interested in more quick family friendly weeknight meals? Check these out!
Chicken Apple Butternut Squash Bake
- 1 - 1.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1-2 lbs Butternut Squash peeled and diced
- 1 Granny Smith Apple peeled and diced
- 4 Bacon Slices cooked
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh Chopped Sage
- 1-2 teaspoon Salt + Pepper or Favorite Season All
- 2 teaspoon Cooking Oil
- Prepare bacon according to package instructions by baking at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Bring temperature down in the oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously season chicken thighs with salt and pepper or favorite season all on both sides.
- In a large sauté pan on high heat, add 1 teaspoon of oil, brown chicken thighs on both sides (chicken will finish cooking in oven). Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan on medium/high heat, sauté squash in 1 teaspoon of oil until slightly tender, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add apples and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes.
- In a baking dish, combine sautéed butternut squash, apples, sage and bacon.
- Add chicken thighs to the top of the mixture and bake for 20 minutes at 375 or until chicken is done and mixture ingredients are roasted.