The Butter Board is Tik Tok's latest food trend! Grab your favorite charcuterie platter and prepare this Garlic, Lemon and Herb Butter Board. Roasted garlic is nestled in creamy butter with fresh herbs, spices and lemon juice.
If you like trying trendy recipes from Tik Tok, you have to try my version of the infamous Italian Grinder.
WHAT IS A BUTTER BOARD?
This trend is certainly tasty and has great reason. Picture a charcuterie style board but with butter! This easy (appearing fancy) appetizer starts with a base of softened butter and the possibilities after that are endless. Serve with warm crunchy bread and you will wonder why you hadn't invented this yourself.
To my knowledge, this trend started with Justine Doiron who created a quick video recipe on Tik Tok, and the rest is literal history. I'm not sure if she invented this style of recipe but we can certainly thank her for this delicious trend.
For the most part, I stray away from trends since they can be just that, "trendy". But I saw too many versions of this butter board on my feed. Let's be real, anything with butter and bread is bound to be a hit, and it was!
WHAT TOOLS DO I NEED?
All things considered; I am certain you have the tools needed on hand which means you can recreate this recipe now! Here are few items to keep in mind that will be helpful to prepare this recipe.
- Small wood board. Keep in mind the size of the board is optional, but I find that using small boards for individual use work best for us.
- Small butter knife. This helps to style the butter easily to make it visually pleasing.
- Small plate for dippers. Depending on the items you add for dipping, you'll want to have a plate to house them. I used warm crunchy French bread, but the possibilities are endless.
- Zester. If you are adding the fresh lemon zest, you'll need this tool!
- Fresh fruit and flowers. Now, if you want to experience this trend fully, I highly encourage you to grab fresh fruit and/or flowers I'm certain you have at home. I literally went to my back yard and picked the prettiest pink and white flowers from our garden that really allowed the butter board to stand out. Adding fresh fruit also helps to beautify the board. Get creative!
It is important to realize that the ingredients needed, will depend on the style of butter board you are creating. With that said, I've simply listed the ingredients added to make this garlic, lemon and her board which was absolutely divine if you enjoy the mix of flavors.
- Softened Butter. Be sure to get quality butter. I used the brand here and it was perfection.
- Fresh Garlic. Whole cloves work best as we will roast the garlic in the oven. The store bought pre-peeled works perfect for this recipe.
- Fresh Herbs. If you've ever seen the fresh herbs in the plastic pack, grab one of those. Particularly, I used the poultry blend, but any available blend will do. I also added extra parsley because, why not! 🙂
- Olive Oil. Good quality olive oil works best for roasting the garlic.
- Herb salt blend. Use your favorite herbed salt blend. My absolute all-time favorite is by this brand. The salt blend is filled with coarse salt and dried herbs and is yes, perfection.
- Coarse Black Pepper. Fresh course black pepper works best.
- Lemon. Fresh lemon juice adds the perfect citrus notes to the listed ingredients.
- French Bread. I purchased my bread from here and it worked amazing with the softened butter.
Frist, you'll need to make sure the butter is room temperature. This will ensure the recipe works best. While the butter is softening, now is a good time to roast the garlic so preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Begin by placing the garlic cloves in an oven safe bowl. Next, pour in olive oil until garlic cloves are submerged. Bake for at least 30 minutes until garlic is bubbly, browned and soft using a fork.
While the garlic roasts, let's prep the additional ingredients and build the butter board. First, prepare the fresh herbs by roughly chopping and setting aside. Then, slice the lemon if using and set aside. You can also begin warming your crusty bread so it's warm and ready for dipping. Lastly, measure the remaining seasonings and now we can prepare the butter and toppings for the board.
HOW TO BUILD THE BUTTER BOARD
Now, using the serving board of your choice and a small butter knife, begin scooping small "dollops" of butter onto the board. Be sure to fill the entire board until it's covered. Then, add the roasted garlic cloves on top of the butter. It is important to realize that you'll need to use a fork to transfer the garlic from the oil and "smash" it into the butter.
Then, add the fresh herbs on top of the butter and garlic. Next, sprinkle the herb-salt blend, lemon zest, red pepper flakes and fresh cracked black pepper. Finally, add your desired garnishes such as fresh lemon slices, flowers or favorite toppings. Enjoy!
RECIPE HOW TO VIDEO
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR BEST RESULTS
- Do not discard the leftover oil after roasting the garlic. You now have garlic infused oil that is perfect for several dishes!
- Pour a small amount of the garlic infused oil over the butter board, yum!
- Be certain the butter is room temperature before preparing this recipe.
- Get creative with toppings. The add-ons are literally endless!
- Try to serve this on individual boards for clean and safe consumption. Or, create a few "small" boards and let your guests devour!
- Serve immediately for best results. It is ideal to consume this recipe right away with warm, crusty bread.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE!
As stated, there's only been a few trendy recipes that I've actually tried. I have to go on record saying this garlic-lemon and herb style butter board was downright delicious! The soft butter, fresh herbs, roasted garlic and seasonings really paired well together.
The flavors are reminiscent of good quality restaurant style bread with butter and herbs. I can't wait to serve this to family and friends next time I host. The recipe presents such a beautiful dish and tastes just as good.
Garlic, Lemon & Herb Butter Board
- 1-2 Small Charcuterie Boards
- 1 Small Oven Sage Bowl
- 1 Zester
- 1 Small Butter Knife
- ¼-1/2 cup Softened Salted Butter
- ¼-1/2 cup Fresh Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley roughly chopped
- 2 leaves Sage roughly chopped
- 4-5 sprigs Thyme roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary roughly chopped
- ¼-1/2 cup Good Quality Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Herb-Salt Blend
- ¼ teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 loaf French Bread
- Frist, you'll need to make sure the butter is room temperature. This will ensure the recipe works best.
- While the butter is softening, now is a good time to roast the garlic so preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the garlic cloves in an oven safe bowl. Pour in olive oil until garlic cloves are submerged.
- Bake for at least 30 minutes until garlic is bubbly, browned and soft using a fork.
- Prepare the fresh herbs by roughly chopping and setting aside.
- Then, slice the lemon if using and set aside.
How to Prepare Butter Board
- Using the serving board of your choice and a small butter knife, begin scooping small "dollops" of butter onto the board. Be sure to fill the entire board until it's covered.
- Then, add the roasted garlic cloves on top of the butter. It is important to realize that you'll need to use a fork to transfer the garlic from the oil and "smash" it into the butter.
- Add the fresh herbs on top of the butter and garlic.
- Sprinkle the herb-salt blend, lemon zest, red pepper flakes and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Add your desired garnishes such as fresh lemon slices, flowers or favorite toppings. Enjoy!
If you like trying trendy recipes from Tik Tok, you have to try my version of the infamous:
OMG! I was seeing this all over the internet so I’m so happy you made a recipe that’s so easy to replicate! We were literally playing tug-of-war over the board its just that good! SO SO GOOD!
I would like to serve this while I entertain my friends ! What do I pair it with? Like a drink. Should it be a wine or a cocktail?