These elotes style corn ribs prepared in the air fryer are the new craze trending on Tik Tok! Ready in under 20 minutes, these corn "riblets" are bursting with tangy, chili and savory flavors.
If you like recipes like this, you'll love this Tex Mex Nacho Charcuterie Board, Mexican Pizza with Shredded Chicken or Southwestern Egg Rolls with Spicy Avocado Ranch!
WHAT ARE THE TIK TOK AIR FRYER CORN RIBS?
If you've been under a rock, Tik Tok provides the latest trends from food to DIY hacks. One of the trends floating around are corn "ribs" prepared in the air fryer, giving a resemblance of bbq'd ribs.
Most Tik Tok food hacks are fun to prepare and devour and this hack did not disappoint! Fresh corn on the cob is sliced in half and then quartered. This dish makes for a fun snack or side dish and bursts with flavor!
For instance, there are several ways to season and style these corn riblets. Prepared elotes style or Mexican Street Corn flavor, these riblets are satisfying until the last kernel is gone.
WHAT MAKES THESE CORN RIBLETS MEXICAN STREET CORN FLAVORED?
Mexican Street Corn is prepared off the cob and served in a cup. The corn is grilled, drizzled with mayonnaise, cotija cheese, lime juice and topped with Tajin (and sometimes Cilantro).
For one thing, this recipe holds true to the flavors of Mexican Street Corn. If you've never tried this style of corn, this is the perfect way to taste test.
The corn "riblets" are prepared to a crispy texture, topped with cotija cheese and served on a bed of charred roasted poblano peppers.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN AIR FRYER CORN RIBLETS RECIPE?
The ingredients in this recipe hold true to the base of the Tik Tok trend of making corn riblets in the air fryer. With the addition of the ingredients making these true to elotes, you'll need:
- Corn on the Cob
- Taco Mix Seasoning
- Smoked Salt (or Kosher Salt)
- Garlic Powder
- Lemon and Pepper Seasoning
- Cotija Cheese (or Feta)
- Butter (room temperature)
- Cooking Spray
- Poblano Pepper
There are several variations to this recipe, in detail there are options to substitute many of the ingredients listed above.
HELPFUL SUBSTITUTIONS FOR MAKING CORN RIBLETS
There's no wrong way to season and style these air fryer corn ribs, elotes style. Here are a few variations:
- Don't have an air fryer? Prepare these corn ribs in the oven by placing the riblets on lined baking sheet on 425 degrees fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes until charred and crispy.
- Can't locate cotija cheese? Feta cheese is an excellent option to replace cotija cheese. In detail, it's flavor and texture is very similar to cotija cheese.
- Missing some of the listed seasonings?
- Substitute Taco Seasoning for Chili Powder.
- Use Kosher Salt in place of Smoked Salt.
- Don't have a poblano pepper on hand? Jalapeno peppers thinly sliced in rounds work just as great.
- Use butter or oil to create the paste (or compound butter) that will be spread over the corn before cooking.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CORN RIBS, ELOTES STYLE
There's one specific step in this recipe that requires a bit of skill. In detail, it took two attempts before I identified the best technique to slice the corn into riblets.
SLICING THE CORN ON THE COB INTO "RIBS"
First, begin by peeling the corn, removing the husk and excess debris. Rinse and clean the corn, dry and set aside.
Next, with a sharp butchers knife, carefully slice the corn on the cob in half. Then, slice the half into quarters creating four "ribs" per corn. It's important to note, a heavy utensil may be needed to assist during this step.
It it helpful to refer to the recipe video for assistance!
SEASONING AND AIR FRYING THE ELOTES STYLE RIBS
First, add room temperature butter to a small bowl. To that same bowl, add the listed seasonings stirring until thoroughly combined. The spread is ready when a smooth paste forms.
Next, spread butter mixture over each corn riblet. Place riblets in the air fryer being careful not to overcrowd. Air fry corn riblets (and sliced poblano peppers, optitonal) up to 15 minutes until charred and crispy.
While the corn riblets air fry, prep additional ingredients such as roughly chopping the cilantro and lime wedges.
NOW IT'S TIME TO DRESS AND STYLE THE AIR FRIED CORN RIBS!
Now, the corn riblets are ready for the last steps! Begin by using a pastry brush to spread mayonnaise over each corn rib. Then, place the corn ribs in a plate or bowl. Third, add the charred poblano pepper slices to the bowl.
At this instant, take one wedge of lime and drizzle over the corn ribs. Second, sprinkle cotija or feta cheese over the plated corn riblets.
Finally, sprinkle the elotes style corn ribs with cilantro and tajin and enjoy!
THE BEST WAY TO STORE THE AIR FRYER CORN RIBS, ELOTES STYLE
Now that the tasty elotes style corn ribs are prepared, serve immediately! They are best served right out of the air fryer and dressed, warm and crispy.
If there's leftovers, which I'm certain it won't be, wrap each riblet in clear wrap or place in an airtight safe storing dish. When ready to eat, microwave each corn riblet for 10-15 seconds and enjoy.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE OUT, LET ME KNOW BY LEAVING A REVIEW BELOW!
If you try these air fryer corn ribs, elotes style let me know by leaving a review down below! I love to connect, hear your thoughts on the recipe and how you created your own version.
Don't forget to connect with me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tik Tok!
How To Make Air Fryer Corn Ribs, Elotes Style
- Air Fryer
Elotes Dry Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Taco Mix Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Salt Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Lemon and Pepper Seasoning
- 3 Ears of Corn
- ½ cup Butter (room temperature)
- Cooking Spray
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Cotija Cheese Feta Cheese
- 1 small Poblano Pepper
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- ½ small Lime
- ½ teaspoon Tajin
- First, begin by peeling the corn, removing the husk and excess debris. Rinse and clean the corn, dry and set aside.
- Next, with a sharp butchers knife, carefully slice the corn on the cob in half. Then, slice the half into quarters creating four "ribs" per corn.
- Add room temperature butter to a small bowl. To that same bowl, add the listed seasonings stirring until thoroughly combined. The spread is ready when a smooth paste forms.
- Next, spread butter mixture over each corn riblet and place riblets in the air fryer being careful not to overcrowd.
- Air fry corn riblets (and sliced poblano peppers, optitonal) up to 15 minutes until charred and crispy. Air fryer oven temps and times will vary.
- Use a pastry brush to spread mayonnaise over each corn rib. Place the corn ribs in a plate or bowl and add the charred poblano pepper slices to the bowl.
- Take one wedge of lime and drizzle over the corn ribs.
- Sprinkle cotija or feta cheese over the plated corn riblets.
- Finally, sprinkle the elotes style corn ribs with cilantro and tajin and enjoy!
I've never in my life thought of or heard of corn ribs, but now I'm a convert. Such a fantastic way to make elotes de maiz!
Same! Apparently it's a new trend but it's SO GOOD. You have to try it! 🙂
I am a Mexican Corn fanatic so this rendition was a terrific hit with my family!
Awesome to hear! So happy you all enjoyed it!
Anita Hill says
Carita you know I love to see your recipes they are so informative and really are the best. Give my little sweetheart a hug for me.
Many thanks for sharing this recipe. I especially love that it is made with poblano pepper as an ingredient. I am really looking forward to trying this.
Yes! The poblano pepper was a nice addition! Thanks so much!
Cat William says
I love Elotes anything! I enjoyed this recipe because you can eat it with your hands. It has so much flavor.
Yes! So good and so much fun to prepare!
WOWSA! This corn was so darn delicious! My kids and I made them together this past weekend. They had a blast making them with me, and we had even more fun eating them! I will definitely be making these again very soon!
I could never hsve enough airfryer recipes!!! Loved this corn rib recipe and the lemon pepper note in particular! This was scrumptious!
Eric & Shanna Jones says
You just took our love for elotes to new heights! This was our first time enjoying elotes this way, and wow! We are fans!! Can't wait to make it again soon.
WOW! These corn ribs are incredible! It was much easier to make than I thought it would be-- thanks to your step-by-step video! I'll definitely be making these again!
This was so fun to make and eat! I love getting elotes in the summer and this gave me the summer vibes that I've been craving right now. Thanks for an awesome recipe!
These are my new favorite way to eat corn. So easy and the flavor was on point. Thank you!
Everything about this recipe is delicious except I will never make them into corn ribs again. Not only is it incredibly difficult to cut a corn lengthwise into quarters without it breaking into 30 pieces, but it would also just be easier to eat these if they were left intact. Again, love this recipe, the flavor is incredible, but I don’t recommend cutting them into corn ribs.
Hi Salina! I'm glad you loved most everything about the recipe! The ribs are more for "fun" but glad you too agree the flavor is incredible! 🙂
I tried it and loved it. Everyone's airfryer is different so mine only needed 5 minutes and not 15 because they definitely would have burned. But love it and will definitely save this recipe.
Absolutely delicious, thanks for the recipe!
Thanks Olivia, happy you enjoyed it!
These are delicious! I made them for the 4th of July & my family loved them! I’m hosting Labor Day & they’re requested!!! I panicked because I couldn’t find the recipe, I figured one last try & I found ya!!! Thanks
So happy to hear you found the recipe and thank you so much for the positive feedback! 🙂