Learn how to make dragon roll sushi bowls at home! This deconstructed version is filled with homemade sushi rice, shrimp, cucumber, jalapeno, avocado, mango and crunchy onion. For sauce lovers, drizzle with two homemade sauces; spicy mayo and eel (unagi) sauce. No sushi rolling skills needed, fill your bowl and enjoy!
Like recipes like this? You have to try my crab sushi bake, shrimp spring rolls or authentic soul food in a bowl!
If you follow me on Instagram, I conducted a poll on favorite sushi rolls! Undoubtedly, cooked sushi rolls and sushi rolls filled with cream cheese are top favorites! Nonetheless, I was relieved to know most of my supporters have ventured out from California Rolls and trying new styles of sushi. The number one style chosen during this poll was Dragon Roll and I was overly excited to create this deconstructed version.
WHAT'S IN A DRAGON SUSHI ROLL?
To explain, traditional dragon rolls consists of tempura shrimp and cucumber inside (inside out roll), topped with avocado, fish eggs and drizzled with spicy mayonnaise and eel sauce. In detail, because of the thinly sliced avocado layered on top, the sushi roll takes form of the scales of a dragon, hence the name! For that reason, this is one of my favorite sushi rolls.
In this recipe I've added a few additional toppings, some of my favorite items to eat in sushi!
WHAT'S IN THIS DRAGON ROLL SUSHI BOWL?
Without doubt, finding these ingredients should be easy. There are household pantry and fridge items in this dragon roll sushi bowl recipe I'm certain you probably have at home! Here's what's in the sushi bowl:
- Sushi Rice-Short to medium grained rice. This is my new technique with making sushi rice at home. Take the extra steps to make this, it makes a world of difference in this dish! Recipe instructions below!
- Shrimp-Medium to large sized raw shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- Garlic-Garlic Paste or minced garlic worst best. This will be used when the shrimp is boiled!
- Lemon Juice-Fresh is best. Lemon juice will be added for flavor when boiling the shrimp.
- Cucumber-Persian cucumbers were used for this recipe but use any style you like or have!
- Avocado-Ripe is always best, you'll only need one medium sized.
- Mango-Ripe is best, also easier to purchase store bought that's precut too!
- Jalapeno-This ingredient is optional if you don't like spicy. If you are a spice lover, don't omit this ingredient.
- Crunchy Onion-One of my favorite toppings on sushi. This is an easy way to achieve an at home version. You can purchase it here!
- Black Sesame Seeds-used for garnish.
- Furikake Seasoning-optional garnishment!
Likewise, if you're a sauce lover like me prepare the spicy mayo and eel sauce too. Here's what you'll need!
- Sesame Oil (optional)
Unagi Sauce (Eel Sauce)
- Soy Sauce
- Sake (or rice wine vinegar and water)
ALTERNATIVES TO THIS DRAGON ROLL SUSHI BOWL RECIPE
What's fun about this recipe is that the ingredients are easy to replace and very interchangeable. For example:
- Looking for a low carb option? Use cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. Be sure to follow the steps and ingredients listed to make the sushi rice still. It's just as good!
- Need an alternate meat/meatless option? For instance, use crab instead of shrimp and for a meatless option, use your favorite mushrooms or tofu (follow the recipe instructions for the shrimp) or omit the meat all together!
- Can't find mangoes? Not in season yet? Peaches, Papaya and Cantaloupe are great options. If you're not a fan of sweet and savory mixes, opt out of the fruit addition!
- Struggling to locate fried onions for the "crunch"? I purchased these crunchy onions. Traditionally Japanese use a breaded frying technique to create the infamous "crunchies" that are added on top of most sushi rolls. You can also toast panko breadcrumbs as an alternative too!
SUSHI RICE, SPICY MAYO & UNAGI SAUCE SUBSTITUTIONS
It can be quite intimidating if you're venturing into at home sushi making for the first time. That is to say, it's not as daunting as it seems and there's just about a replacement for all ingredients listed through this recipe. For the sushi rice, spicy mayo and unagi sauce, here are helpful substitutions if you can't find the listed ingredients.
- Rice Wine Vinegar-White Wine Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon or Lime Juice are all suitable substitutes for rice wine vinegar.
- Mirin- Mirin is fairly easy to find in your local grocery store in the Asian/International section but if you're in a crunch, you can substitute dry sherry wine, sweet marsala wine or use rice wine vinegar but adding sugar to it. The recipe for the unagi sauce calls for ½ cup so you'd need to add about 1 tablespoon of sugar to counteract the tanginess in the vinegar.
- Sake- This ingredient is used in traditional unagi sauce but can be hard to locate. An easy fix for this recipe is to mix rice wine vinegar and water together. Be sure to notate in the written recipe the exact measurements.
- Unagi Sauce- Pressed for time and wanting to cut a corner? Top the sushi bowl with soy sauce in place of the unagi sauce, the bowl will still be just as delicious!
LET'S MAKE DRAGON ROLL SUSHI BOWLS!
In order that you experience the fun in creating this tasty bowl, it's important to note to follow the order of steps in this recipe. First, begin preparing the sushi rice.
Prepare the Sushi Rice
Begin by preparing the rice according to package instructions. Then, while rice is cooking prepare additional ingredients in the sushi rice recipe by dissolving the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt. When rice is cooked, fluff and pour vinegar solution and oil over rice. Stir until well combined and set aside until further use.
Prepare the Unagi Sauce & Spicy Mayo
If not using sake, begin by creating the sake substitute. Mix rice wine vinegar and water until dissolved. In a small saucepan on medium heat, dissolve mirin, sugar, rice wine vinegar mixture and bring to a slight boil. Add in soy sauce, stir and bring back to a boil. After that, reduce heat to a low simmer and allow sauce to thicken. After ten minutes, turn heat off and let cool. As sauce cools, it'll thicken even more. Set aside until later use!
First, in a small bowl combine mayo, sriracha and sesame oil. Mix until thoroughly combined and set aside.
Boil the Shrimp
In the meantime while the rice cools, prepare the shrimp by adding water to a stock pot, garlic and fresh lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook until shrimp are cooked through being careful not to overcook. Drain shrimp and set aside until later use.
Prepare the Toppings!
Prep all toppings by roughly chopping the jalapeno, cucumber, mango and avocado.
HOW TO PLATE DRAGON ROLL SUSHI BOWLS!
First scoop about a cup and a half of the prepared sushi rice. Next, add cooked shrimp, chopped cucumber, mango, jalapeno and avocado. Lastly, add crunchy onions.
Finally, drizzle spicy mayo, and unagi sauce over the prepared bowl. Following the sauce drizzle, sprinkle black sesame seeds and furikake seasoning and enjoy!
HOW TO STORE THIS DECONSTRUCTED SUSHI BOWL
This dragon roll sushi bowl is best served fresh but if you have leftovers, store each ingredient separately. The ingredients will last 2-3 days refrigerated.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Tik Tok for more recipes!
How To Make Dragon Roll Sushi Bowls
- 2 cups Small/Medium Rice Grain
- 2.5-3 cups Water
- ½ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 teaspoon Oil
Unagi (Eel Sauce)
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ½ cup Mirin
- ⅓ cup Granulated Sugar + 1 teaspoon
- 1-1.5 tablespoon Sake or
- 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Water
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ¼ teaspoon Sesame Oil optional
- Begin by preparing the rice according to package instructions.
- While rice is cooking prepare additional ingredients in the sushi rice recipe by dissolving the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt.
- When rice is cooked, fluff and pour vinegar solution and oil over rice.
- Stir until well combined and set aside until further use.
Unagi (Eel Sauce)
- If not using sake, begin by creating the sake substitute. Mix rice wine vinegar and water until dissolved.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, dissolve mirin, sugar, rice wine vinegar mixture and bring to a slight boil.
- Add in soy sauce, stir and bring back to a boil.
- After that, reduce heat to a low simmer and allow sauce to thicken.
- After ten minutes, turn heat off and let cool.
- As sauce cools, it'll thicken even more. Set aside until later use!
- First, in a small bowl combine mayo, sriracha and sesame oil.
- Mix until thoroughly combined and set aside.
Amanda Baum says
This recipe is perfection. The sauce recipes are both on point. I added crispy jalapenos and furikake seasoning to the top. So good!!
Hi Amanda, so happy to hear you love the recipe as much as I do! I am such a sauce person and love when others enjoy as much as I do. Love the crispy jalapeno addition too, sounds delish!
Such a great idea. Rolling sushi is a lot of work. The flavors were on point and the simplicity of the recipe was a welcome break on a weeknight.
Thank you so much Carita for yet another tasty bowl recipe! I love sushi, but having it deconstructed and in a bowl was everything hubby and I needed!! Thanks so much!!
Soooooo good! I really loved the eel sauce. Had to make extra lol
OMG! This was so good! Since we have not had sushi in over a year, I was craving it. Decided to make this, and it not only hit the spot… it was a winner!
I couldn't wait to try this, and it was every bit as delicious as it is gorgeous - my new summer salad!
Dragon rolls are my favorite so I knew I had to try this. Made it for lunch over the weekend and it was so dang good. I’m going to be saving a lot of money not ordering take out sushi and throwing this together instead. Thank you!!!
Britney Brown says
It's the spicy mayo and eel sauce on top for me! Such a good weeknight meal, especially for summer when I don't want to use the oven and make the house hot! Thanks for such a delicious recipe!!
Wow these were delicious! We already love sushi, but this was so much easier to make. It is definitely kid and husband approved because everyone went back for seconds! This is getting added to our regular weeknight meal rotation!
This is my new favorite sushi bowl! I've already made this twice now; it's so good!! The eel sauce and spicy mayo is such a great combination! Thank you for the recipe!
I am also a sauce lover so I had to make both sauces to go with these bowls! So glad I did -- they were amazing, and such a fun dinner!
I’m a sushi addict so this bowl was just what I needed to satisfy cravings when I couldn’t get to my local sushi spot. It was fresh, delicious and seasoned perfectly!
So I'm not a sushi person at all but I LOVE this bowl. Making another for lunch today!
Crystal DaCruz says
This made the perfect lunch! I loved it and would definitely make it for dinner too! Thanks for sharing!
This was delicious! I’ve never boiled shrimp before. I always sauté them but i really like them boiled! I added pineapple to my bowl also and it was so good!
So glad you enjoyed! Pineapple sounds like an amazing fruit to add! 🙂
To is absolutely divine! I made it with cauliflower rice and added garlic & ginger. I also added seaweed fukaki to the bowl. I will be making this frequently. Damn good!
So happy to hear that Karla! It's one of my favorite go-to recipes also! 🙂
Dani S. says
Hi there! If I use the sake in the unagi sauce, how much would you use? I didn’t see that in the recipe. Thank you!
Hi Dani! Sorry about that. You can use 1-1.5 tbsp. Hope this helps! 🙂
Dani S. says
Thanks for the response! This recipe is absolutely amazing we loved it at my house!!! I think this is going to be one of those things I end up craving every now and again.
I love this! I too crave different flavors at times so this recipe is perfect for those kinds of cravings! 🙂
Kimberly June Willoughby says
Oh my! This was so good! I'll definitely make again and maybe even try to impress guests! Thank you so much.
Yay! So glad you enjoyed the recipe. It's a fan favorite for sure! 🙂
Amazing recipe. My wife and girls absolutely love this dish. Thank you
I'm so happy to hear this. This recipe is by far a fan favorite!!! 🙂
Made this tonight with my best friends and it was absolutely incredible! We made ours a little more spicy but 10/10 I will 100% be making this again!! Thank you for sharing this masterpiece!
SO happy you all enjoyed. It's honestly my favorite recipe too! Thanks for the feedback. 🙂