Deconstruct your favorite Philadelphia Roll Sushi and learn how to make this deconstructed version that's layered like a burrito bowl. Filled with sweet sticky rice, smoked salmon, cucumber, avocado seaweed and cream cheese. Grab these simple ingredients and make this easy, weeknight meal. No sushi rolling skills needed to make this Philly Roll Sushi Bowl!
Like this recipe? You'll love this Dragon Roll Sushi Bowl, Crab Sushi Bake or Soul Food in a Bowl!
WHERE DOES PHILADELPHIA ROLL GET ITS NAME FROM?
The name Philadelphia stems from the famous cream cheese brand in Philadelphia. Paired with smoked salmon and cream cheese refers to the "lox" style way of eating these ingredients with a bagel. This became popular in the 1980's and never trended backwards.
Bagels and lox is one of my favorite meals. The flavors pair so well together, with that said, it's only natural to love the traditional Philly Sushi Roll. This sushi roll is not super fancy, has only minimal ingredients but is bursting with flavor!
Wondering who created the Philadelphia Roll? Read more about it here.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN A PHILADELPHIA ROLL SUSHI?
To explain, Philadelphia Sushi Rolls are undoubtedly one of my favorite sushi rolls. It's something about cream cheese in sushi that really amps up most sushi rolls. Not to mention, this deconstructed version is served in a bowl and rings true to the traditional style roll.
In detail, a traditional Philadelphia Roll consists of smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber. Other ingredients such as green onions, fish, sesame seeds and avocado can also be added. Served with wasabi and a side of soy sauce and you're in "Philly Heaven"!
WHAT'S IN THIS DECONSTRUCTED PHILLY ROLL SUSHI BOWL?
With just a few household ingredients, this recipe comes together fairly quickly. With that said, I'll leave a few suggestions to modify some of the ingredients below. Here's what you'll need:
- Sushi Rice-Short to medium grained rice. This is my new technique with making sushi rice at home. Take the extra steps to make this, it makes a world of difference in this dish! Recipe instructions below!
- Smoked Salmon-Store bought is what I use, I typically purchase this from Trader Joe's!
- Cucumber-Persian cucumbers were used for this recipe but use any style you like or have!
- Avocado-Ripe is always best, you’ll only need one medium sized.
- Cream Cheese-Any kind works good, I used the whipped cream cheese from Trader Joe's!
- Black Sesame Seeds-used for garnish.
- Seaweed Snacks- These snacks were a perfect substitute for nori that I found would be to difficult to consume in this bowl. You can get these tasty treats just about anywhere. I also get these from my local Trader Joe's!
- Furikake Seasoning-optional garnishment!
- Soy Sauce-If you're a sauce person like me and enjoy topping with a sauce.
SUBSTITUIONS FOR THIS PHILADELPHIA ROLL SUSHI BOWL
- Sushi Rice- I get it! Sometimes you are looking to cut carbs. This recipe works perfectly with cauliflower. A few of my supporters have left reviews saying this substitution works great!
- Smoked Salmon- In the first place, I love smoked salmon. If you don't, use imitation crab or even cooked salmon.
- Cream Cheese- Wanting to cut calories a bit? Try subbing the cream cheese with Greek yogurt, ricotta or cottage cheese.
LET'S MAKE PHILADELPHIA ROLL SUSHI BOWLS!
In order to experience the fun of eating and preparing this recipe, it's important to note to follow the recipe instructions in the order as it is listed. First, let's prepare the sushi rice.
PREPARE THE SUSHI RICE
Begin by preparing the rice according to package instructions. Then, while rice is cooking prepare additional ingredients in the sushi rice recipe by dissolving the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt. When rice is cooked, fluff and pour vinegar solution and oil over rice. Stir until well combined and set aside until further use.
PREP THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS FOR THE PHILLY ROLL SUSHI BOWLS
Begin by prepping the remaining ingredients. With this in mind, there is nothing left to cook and you are more than half way ready to eat! First, roughly chop the cucumber into bite sized pieces and set aside. Next, thinly slice the smoked salmon also into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
Now, gather your cream cheese that is best served at room temperature and ensure that is soft and spreadable. At this instant, grab your ripe avocado and peel and slice the avocado into bite sized pieces. Lastly with kitchen scissors, slice the seaweed snacks into small squares or bite-sized pieces.
HOW TO PLATE PHILLY ROLL SUSHI BOWLS
First scoop a half cup to one cup of the prepared sushi rice. Next, add smoked salmon, chopped cucumber, sesame snacks, a dollop of cream cheese and avocado.
Finally, top with rice seasoning and sesame seeds. This step is optional but I suggest topping with a little soy sauce for best results! And now you can enjoy this delicious Philadelphia Roll Sushi Bowl!
HOW TO STORE THE DECONSTRUCTED PHILLY ROLL SUSHI BOWL?
This deconstructed sushi roll bowl is best served fresh but if you have leftovers, store each ingredient separately. The ingredients will last 2-3 days refrigerated.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Tik Tok for more recipes!
Enjoyed this recipe? You'll absolutely love this Dragon Roll Sushi Bowl, Crab Sushi Bake or Soul Food in a Bowl!
How to Make Philly Roll Sushi Bowl
- 2 cups Small/Medium Rice Grain
- 2.5-3 cups Water
- ½ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 cup Cucumber
- 1 ripe Avocado
- ¼` cup Cream Cheese (whipped) room temperature
- 4 oz package Seaweed Snacks
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Furikake (Rice Seasoning)
- Begin by preparing the rice according to package instructions.
- Then, while rice is cooking prepare additional ingredients in the sushi rice recipe by dissolving the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt.
- When rice is cooked, fluff and pour vinegar solution and oil over rice. Stir until well combined and set aside until further use.
Philadelphia Sushi Roll Assembly
- First scoop a half cup to one cup of the prepared sushi rice.
- Next, add smoked salmon, chopped cucumber, sesame snacks, a dollop of cream cheese and avocado.
- Finally, top with rice seasoning and sesame seeds.
- This step is optional but I suggest topping with a little soy sauce for best results!
Leave a Reply