Learn how to make Maple Candied Bacon that's ready in under 25 minutes. With just three ingredients, level up traditional bacon perfect for brunch, salads, apps, cocktails and more!
This maple candied bacon recipe will blow you away. In other words, once you prepare bacon this way, you may never go back to the traditional way. Maple candied bacon is so easy to prepare, you will wonder why you hadn't tried it before!
What's even greater is that this recipe pairs with so much including salads, brunch, cocktails, burgers and more. Indeed, prepare a large batch and enjoy throughout the week. Not to mention, this recipe calls for three ingredients, again, just three ingredients I'm certain you have on hand!
WHAT IS MAPLE CANDIED BACON?
This treat has a few names; candied bacon, million-dollar bacon, sweet and spicy bacon and more. While there are several ways to prepare this delicious treat, you will mostly find recipes that provide a sweet and salty finish.
Baked with a gooey paste provided by maple syrup and topped with fresh cracked black pepper, maple candied bacon is sweet, salty, nutty with a hint of spice. Since the bacon is prepared in the oven, the bacon does not shrivel up, is crispy in texture yet chewy and downright delicious.
This recipe is so simple to make, as mentioned you will only need three ingredients. Here is what you will need!
- Bacon. Medium thickness works best. In this recipe, applewood smoked bacon was used.
- Maple Syrup. Any type works best, use what you have on hand.
- Fresh Crushed Black Pepper.
HELPFUL TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Use your favorite cut/style of bacon. Any cut of bacon truly works, to emphasize, just be mindful to adjust baking time depending on the thinness/thickness of the bacon. Again, applewood smoked bacon pairs well with this recipe.
Can I use any other type of bacon to prepare candied bacon? I only tested this recipe with pork bacon. I would absolutely substitute with beef bacon if you can find it. Be sure to adjust cooking times based on doneness. I am unsure about turkey bacon but absolutely try it out and see how it turns out.
Good quality maple syrup works best. Of course, use what you have on hand, but organic, thicker style maple syrup will work best. You can certainly try honey or agave!
Prepare bacon in the oven. There is always such controversy regarding the best ways to prepare bacon. Traditionally, people prepare bacon over the stove but preparing bacon in the oven has more benefits. Not to mention, the bacon maintains its shape/length and cleanup is a breeze!
HOW TO PREPARE CANDIED BACON
First, you will need a large baking sheet to prepare the bacon on. Aluminum foil, parchment paper or an oven safe silicon liner works best. You will also need an oven safe rack. This step is optional but highly suggested. Allowing the bacon to crisp raised off of the backing sheet helps for crispier bacon.
To prepare the bacon, you will need a kitchen brush. Tongues will also be helpful when removing the bacon after it's done.
PREPARE THE BACON
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, line the baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper or silicone liner. Then, place the baking rack on top of the prepared liner. Next, layer the bacon on top of the rack.
Using the kitchen brush, gently brush each strip of bacon with maple syrup. You do not have to brush both sides, covering one side works fine. Now that the bacon is brushed with maple syrup, simply crack fresh black pepper over each strip of bacon.
Finally, bake the bacon in the oven for 15-20 minutes until bacon is caramelized and crispy. Lastly, after removing the bacon from the oven, allow to cool at least 5-10 minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE MAPLE CANDIED BACON WITH
This bacon pairs with so many things. It is delicious as is but pairing with the items below really enhances the dish.
- Cocktails. Top with a bloody mary or your favorite cocktail. This Breakfast Shot recipe is perfect to top with the candied bacon.
- Appetizer. Slice the candied bacon into bite sized pieces and serve as is.
- Salads. Yes, imagine this delicious bacon on top of a salad. House or wedge certainly comes to mind!
- Sandwiches. Top with a burger, deli sandwich or fried green tomato sandwich, yum.
HOW TO STORE
While I'm certain you will not have leftovers, in the rare occasion that you do, here's how to store the bacon.
Wrap the leftover bacon in parchment paper or aluminum foil. Store in the refrigerator and reheat on a lined sheet in the air fryer. Simply place the bacon on the rack of the air fryer at 375 for about 3-4 minutes. Be careful to watch the bacon while it cooks to not burn it.
How to Make Maple Candied Bacon
- 1 lb Bacon
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoon Crushed Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, line the baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Then, place the baking rack on top of the prepared liner. Next, layer the bacon on top of the rack.
- Using the kitchen brush, gently brush each strip of bacon with maple syrup. You do not have to brush both sides, covering one side works fine.
- Now that the bacon is brushed with maple syrup, simply crack fresh black pepper over each strip of bacon.
- Finally, bake the bacon in the oven for 15-20 minutes until bacon is caramelized and crispy.
- Lastly, after removing the bacon from the oven, allow to cool at least 5-10 minutes.
After you prepare this recipe, you must try it with these amazing Breakfast Shots. You can also serve with: