The mexican pizza is discontinued but don't fret! This Quick and Easy Mexican Pizza with Shredded Chicken is the perfect anecdote to that problem. Crunchy tortillas, slow cooked chicken topped with gooey cheese, and endless toppings, you'll add this to your menu for years to come!Jump to Recipe
MEXICAN PIZZA CAN BE MADE WITH STAPLE PANTRY ITEMS!
Pregnancy cravings are real and during my first trimester, I craved Taco Bell a lot, as a matter of fact, every day! Between the chicken quesadillas and mexican pizza furthermore, I couldn't get enough of the flavor.
Recreating meals has become a fun project and creating a recipe inspired from Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza that's now discontinued was a must! This mexican pizza with shredded chicken is fun to create!
I had one chicken breast left, a few additional ingredients to get rid of and decided to make a mexican pizza with shredded chicken. In other words, this is how the birth of this recipe began! Here are the ingredients I used to create this recipe, by all means use what you have on hand!
QUICK AND EASY MEXICAN PIZZA WITH SHREDDED CHICKEN INGREDIENTS:
- Flour Tortillas- Burrito Size (or smaller)
- Black or Pinto Beans
- Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Tomato Sofrito
- Shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese (Mexican Shredded Cheese)
- Black Olives
- Green Onion
- Sour Cream/Plain Greek Yogurt
This recipe comes together quickly. If using my shredded mexican chicken recipe, be sure to allot an hour or two of cooking time. You can certainly use ground beef and season with a taco packet mix and be fine! The mexican shredded chicken is an easy recipe to keep on hand too, can be used for tacos, burritos and more!
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR THE MEXICAN PIZZA RECIPE:
I strive to create recipes that have interchangeable ingredients regardless, you should always use what you have on hand and get creative!
Can I use ground beef or turkey instead of shredded chicken? Certainly you can! Yield for about one pound of protein and if you're wanting meatless, load up on the beans!
I can't find sofrito or don't have it on hand. This is an easy fix. In fact, several substitutions for this ingredient. Use salsa, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce or any of your favorite mexican style sauce. In other words, you need some flavored liquid to help the cheese and toppings adhere too.
I don't have or prefer beans in my food. Not a problem, feel free to double up on protein or use mushrooms, quinoa or mashed cauliflower!
I just realized I don't have sour cream and I love sour cream! I bet you have plain yogurt on hand from making smoothies, right? Plain greek style yogurt works surprisingly well as a substitute for sour cream!
I don't like some of the toppings listed in this recipe! While these are my favorite toppings to use with Mexican pizzas, use what you prefer or don't top the pizza at all. Again, it's tasty as is!
HOW TO MAKE QUICK AND EASY MEXICAN PIZZA WITH SHREDDED CHICKEN
This recipe is so easy and is created similar to a layered mexican pizza casserole. With this in mind, there's one step I don't want you to miss out on.
First, heat a medium to large sized skillet on high heat and add cooking oil. Fry the tortillas until golden brown and set aside on paper towels to drain. While the tortillas are frying, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Prep your additional ingredients by shredding the slow cooked chicken breasts and removing any excess liquid. Next, prepare your additional ingredients such as slicing your vegetables and prepping the beans and sauce of your choice.
TIME TO ASSEMBLE THE QUICK AND EASY MEXICAN PIZZA WITH SHREDDED CHICKEN!
Using an oven safe pan or pizza stone, place one tortilla down and spread beans out evenly. Add shredded chicken (or protein of your choice) and spread evenly over beans. Place another tortilla over the beans and chicken and add sofrito over the tortilla, evenly distributing the sauce. Top pizzas with cheese and bake for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Lastly, top with your favorite toppings such as cilantro, green onion, jalapeno, tomatoes and sour cream! Slice into 4 equal parts and enjoy! Do not make ahead but you can store the ingredients separately and make more as needed.
Mexican Pizza with Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 4 Flour Tortillas Burrito or Large Size
- 1-2 cups Cooking Oil Vegetable Oil
- .5-1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- ½ cup Black Beans Mashed
- ¼ cup Sofrito
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 Green Onion Stalks
- 2.25 oz Black Olives
- 3-4 tablespoon Sour Cream Greek Yogurt
- small Tomato
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- In a small slow cooker, place chicken breast(s) into crockpot and top with taco seasoning and one cup of salsa.
- Cook on low for one to two hours or high for one hour until chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
- Shred and set aside until further use.
Fried Flour Tortillas
- In a medium to large sized skillet, pour oil in pan and heat to high heat.
- Place tortillas in cooking oil when hot and fry on both sides until tortillas are crunchy.
- Set aside and drain on paper towels.
Mexican Pizza Assembly
- On an oven safe tray or pizza stone, place fried tortilla down and spread beans evenly over tortilla.
- Add shredded chicken and spread evenly over tortilla.
- Place another tortilla over beans and chicken mixture and top with sofrito spreading evenly over tortilla.
- Top sofrito sauce with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top mexican pizza with favorite toppings and serve immediately for best results.