Prepare this Poblano Cream Sauce (Culichi Salsa) and you will never purchase store bought again! This creamy "green sauce" is versatile and a base ingredient for many Mexican inspired meals.
If you are looking for a recipe to pair poblano cream sauce with, try Camarones Culichi. A rich creamy dish served with plump shrimp, gooey mozzarella cheese and warm tortillas!
WHAT IS POBLANO CREAM SAUCE?
One thing about Mexican food is the is depth of flavor and the sauces are endless. From red, green and stewed sauces, this food is rich in culture and flavor. To explain, poblano cream sauce, also known as culichi salsa is prepared with roasting poblano peppers, jalapeno and garlic. Mexican crema, avocado, fresh cilantro and seasonings are also added and blended until smooth.
This poblano sauce has several options for serving. You can certainly prepare this poblano cream sauce with enchiladas, smothered in shrimp and topped with gooey cheese, tacos, burritos and more!
As mentioned, there are simple, approachable ingredients in this poblano sauce recipe. Here is what you will need.
- Poblano Peppers- Mild, smoky with a hint of spice. Provides the overall flavor of the sauce and also the rich green hue of the sauce.
- Jalapeno Peppers- These peppers provide the heat in the sauce. You can certainly deseed the pepper depending on your heat preference.
- Garlic- Fresh is best as this will be roasted with the other vegetables. No need to chop, we will roast them whole!
- Avocado- Provides the richness and creaminess that the sauce has. Ripe avocados work best.
- Mexican Crema- This is one of my favorite ingredients to use in Mexican dishes. With that said, it is best to find something similar to this brand. However, if you can't locate Mexican crema, use full fat sour cream.
- Chicken Bouillion- You can find the exact seasoning here. This is the main seasoning for this sauce, do not skip.
- Lime Juice- The juice of about one lime helps to balance all the flavors!
- Cayenne Pepper- Certainly optional but if you prefer a bit of spice, use this ingredient.
- Water (or Milk)- Will be used to help with the consistency of the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, adding a bit of water will help thin the sauce.
KITCHEN TOOLS NEEDED
You will note from the recipe video that this recipe requires just a few tools. Here is what you will need:
- Blender-A durable blender is required to blend the roasted peppers, garlic, seasonings, herbs and cream to make this delicious sauce. Any blender will work but I’ve linked the blender used in the recipe video.
- Baking Tray– You’ll need a baking/roasting tray when charring the peppers and garlic in the oven.
- Cutting Board- A flat surface to roughly chop the ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE POBLANO CREAM SAUCE (CULICHI SALSA)
Roast The Veggies
Begin by preheating the oven to broil. Next, place peppers, jalapeños and garlic on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper.
Then, broil uncovered for up to 10 minutes until blackened and charred, watch carefully not to burn.
While the veggies are roasting, roughly chop cilantro and slice avocado in half.
After the roasted veggies are removed from the oven, remove tops from both peppers, slice in half and remove seeds from poblano and jalapeño peppers. If spice is desired, leave seeds in jalapeños but remove from poblano peppers.
Blend The Sauce
Next, in a blender, place roasted peppers, garlic, cilantro, avocado, cream, chicken bouillon, splash of water or milk, lime juice and blend until smooth. Adjust sauce to your desired taste by adding salt, pepper and/or cayenne if desired.
This recipe yields about three cups of poblano sauce and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three to five days. You certainly can freeze this sauce as well. It is important to note, storing in a freezer safe bag or container works best. The sauce can last three to six months in your freezer.
RECIPES TO SERVE WITH POBLANO CREAM SAUCE
As mentioned, this sauce is versatile, serving it alongside these items are just the beginning. I did not mention but this sauce is so good, you can serve it as soup. haha 🙂
Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce
Poblano Cream Sauce (Culichi Salsa)
- 1 Blender
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Baking Tray
- 3 Poblano Peppers
- 1 Jalapeno
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Cilantro
- 1 Avocado
- 12 oz Mexican Crema
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
- ¼ cup Water or milk
- 1 Lime
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Place peppers, jalapeños and garlic on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper.
- Then, broil uncovered for up to 10 minutes until blackened and charred, watch carefully not to burn.
- While the veggies are roasting, roughly chop cilantro and slice avocado in half.
- After the roasted veggies are removed from the oven, remove tops from both peppers, slice in half and remove seeds from poblano and jalapeño peppers. If spice is desired, leave seeds in jalapeños but remove from poblano peppers.
- In a blender, place roasted peppers, garlic, cilantro, avocado, cream, chicken bouillon, splash of water or milk, lime juice and blend until smooth.
- Adjust sauce to your desired taste by adding salt, pepper and/or cayenne if desired.