Get festive and combine two cocktails! The Best Sangria Margarita with Fresh Sour Mix stars a fresh margarita with homemade sour mix, topped with a fruity red wine blend. Prepare to be the fan favorite at your next gathering!
Now that we are open to entertaining at home more and even getting more festive, this cocktail is perfect for your next occasion. Ready in under ten minutes, wow your guests with this sangria margarita that looks just as good as it tastes!
WHAT IS SANGRIA WITH TEQUILA?
Hybrid food and drinks are here to stay! With that said, this simple sangria margarita is just that, a mix of a traditional margarita made with tequila mixed with components that make up fruity red wine sangria.
Not to mention, this cocktail is downright refreshing and perfect to serve during the warmer months. With no blending needed, this drink can be prepared with household ingredients I'm certain you have on hand.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE SANGRIA MARGARITA
As mentioned, you will need household ingredients to prepare this recipe as well as good-quality tequila and red wine. Here is exactly what you will need:
- Fresh Sour Mix
- Orange Juice
- Red Wine Blend
- Oranges, Lemon and Limes (for garnish)
Surpassingly, that is all the ingredients needed to make this sangria margarita. Further down in the post, I will share how to make fresh sour mix, stay tuned.
BEST TEQUILA FOR MARGARITAS
A silver or white tequila works best for this cocktail. With that said, it is best to use good-quality tequila. You can find the exact tequila used in this recipe here.
In the event that you are looking for more options, with this in mind, any mid-level silver or white tequila will work best. Here are a few additional options.
All in all, you will not go wrong with any of these tequilas. Splurging a little will ultimately help with the crispness and flavor of the drink. Results will certainly vary otherwise.
BEST RED WINES FOR SANGRIA
Here are the best types of red wines that will work for sangria. These are ultimately what has worked best for cocktails seen on this blog.
- Red Wine Blend
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
In this recipe, I used what I had on hand which was a red wine blend from Trader Joe's that paired perfectly to make the sangria margarita.
HOW TO MAKE FRESH SOUR MIX
The key ingredient in this recipe besides purchasing good- quality tequila is specifically making fresh sour mix. While this task can seem daunting, it is truly easy to prepare and will require ten to fifteen extra minutes.
It is worth the time; this will take the drink to a next level and also is a wow factor for your guests.
- Combine one cup of fresh lemon juice.
- Add one cup of fresh lime juice.
- In a pot, combine one cup of water with one cup of sugar.
- Dissolve the mixture until the sugar has dissolved and cool.
- Stir or shake to combine storing in an airtight container until further use.
All in all, this step is certainly optional but absolutely recommended.
RECIPE VIDEO: HOW TO MAKE SANGRIA MARGARITA
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SANGRIA MARGARITA WITH FRESH SOUR MIX
Using a cocktail shaker, add one half to one cup of ice. Next, pour in two ounces of tequila, two ounces of fresh sour mix, two ounces of orange juice and shake vigorously.
Then, be sure to pour the margarita mix into a glass but leaving about one to two inches of space to pour the red wine.
At this instant, use a small spoon to lay over the glass of prepared margarita. Now, slowly and carefully pour the red wine on top of the margarita mix until the glass is full.
This step takes a bit of practice, but I am certain you will achieve it on the first or second attempt! Top sangria margarita with sliced oranges, lemons or limes and serve immediately!
TIPS AND TRICKS
- This recipe is doubled and prepares two cocktails both making about 1.5 cups of cocktail.
- As mentioned, using quality tequila will work best.
- Preparing the homemade sour mix will work best. Traditional store bought sour mix will certainly have more additives and extra sugar.
- Triple or double the recipe by preparing the margarita separately in a pitcher and pouring the wine on top of each glass when ready to serve!
- Since you have enjoyed this recipe, you will absolutely love Blackberry Sangria!
WHY I LOVE SANGRIA MARGARITAS
- As mentioned, this recipe provides a refreshing taste and flare.
- How fun is it to combine two cocktails into one that results in a pleasing flavor bomb!
- Although this cocktail looks fancy, it is quite easy to prepare and ready in under a few minutes.
The Best Sangria Margarita with Fresh Sour Mix
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 2 oz Tequila
- 2 oz Sour Mix
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- Red Wine as needed (about 3 tbsp- ¼ cup)
- 2 Orange Slices for garnish
- 2 Lemon Slices for garnish
- 2 Lime Slices for garnish
- Using a cocktail shaker, add one half to one cup of ice.
- Next, pour in two ounces of tequila, two ounces of fresh sour mix, two ounces of orange juice and shake vigorously.
- Then, be sure to pour the margarita mix into a glass but leaving about one to two inches of space to pour the red wine.
- Use a small spoon to lay over the glass of prepared margarita.
- Now, slowly and carefully pour the red wine on top of the margarita mix until the glass is full.
- This step takes a bit of practice, but I am certain you will achieve it on the first or second attempt!
- Top sangria margarita with sliced oranges, lemons or limes and serve immediately!
If you like this cocktail recipe, you will absolutely love: