Baked beans mixed with spicy sausage, bacon, brown sugar, and fresh jalapeno makes for an ooey gooey casserole. This popular, hearty side served at gatherings will be the star of the show! The best spicy sausage and baked bean casserole recipe will become a staple in your home for years to come!
If it is one item that is a staple at any family gathering, baked beans are always an option. This popular side pairs well with BBQ style foods or great for traditional dinners too. With that said, this recipe will become your favorite style to make.
With your favorite prepared canned baked beans, mixed with fresh vegetables such as red onion, green pepper and fresh jalapeno, you will never prepare baked beans any other way.
I’ve joined Eat The Culture along with 30 other Black culinary creators in celebrating Juneteenth through a virtual cookout. Juneteenth marks our country’s second independence day, signifying the final emancipation of those enslaved in the US announced in 1865.
This year, we are celebrating "Freedom Day" by offering a delightful selection of mains, sides, desserts, and refreshing drinks that are perfect for backyard barbecues and summer gatherings with friends and family.Join us in honoring the legacy of progress and freedom by cooking and sharing these recipes.
You can easily follow each participant by using the hashtag #JuneteenthCookout2023 on Instagram. Additionally, you can find a list of all recipes from the 2023 Juneteenth Virtual Cookout on the Eat the Culture website.
SPICY SAUSAGE AND BAKED BEAN CASSEROLE
Most baked bean recipes call for ground beef, but spicy ground pork sausage is added. In addition to crispy bacon, as well as red onion, fresh jalapeno, mustard, BBQ sauce and a few more ingredients.
The flavors are spicy, smoky and a hint of sweet. You will certainly enjoy this version; the spicy sausage really makes for satisfying flavors as well as the crispy bacon.
This recipe is easy to prepare, simply pop the can of beans, throw the ingredients in a dish and bake until ooey gooey and bubbly!
You can certainly prepare the beans from scratch, but we are keeping this recipe simple. With this in mind, we are using canned beans, fresh vegetables and a few sauces to really kick the traditional flavors up a notch.
Here is what you will need:
- Canned Baked Beans. Here is the brand I absolutely love. Stick with traditional flavor since we are adding additional ingredients.
- Ground Pork Sausage. This is my absolute favorite spicy pork sausage.
- Bacon- Hardwood smoked works best and thinly sliced to cut cooking time.
- Brown Sugar
- Green Pepper
- Red Onion
- BBQ Sauce. I use this brand of BBQ Sauce all the time.
- Mustard. We will use regular yellow mustard, but spicy mustard will work too!
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Green Onion. Optional.
There is a bit of prep to make this recipe come together in about thirty minutes. Begin by washing the produce, measure the sauces and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
PREP THE INGREDIENTS
Begin by preparing the bacon according to package instructions. I prefer bacon baked in the oven at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. It is important to note, the bacon will need to be cooked until crispy.
Next, while the bacon cooks, prepare the ground spicy sausage by cooking and crumbling the sausage until brown in a skillet.
While the bacon and sausage are cooking at the same time, roughly chop the red onion and green pepper. Finally, measure the BBQ sauce, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
ASSEMBLE SPICY SAUSAGE AND BAKED BEAN CASSEROLE
Now that the ingredients are prepped, it is time to prepare the baked beans. Begin by using an oven safe dish large enough to hold the ingredients. In this recipe, I used a large cast iron skillet. Add the canned beans to the dish.
Then, add the cooked and drained (and crumbled) spicy sausage and bacon. Next, add the jalapeno, red onion and green pepper. Finally, pour the BBQ sauce, mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and stir thoroughly until all ingredients are combined.
Baked at 375 for 23-30 minutes until the sausage, baked beans and additional ingredients are cooked through and bubbly.
GARNISH AND SERVE!
Last, now that sausage and baked bean casserole is cooked through, allow up to 15 minutes to cool. Finally, garnish with roughly chopped green onions, serve and enjoy!
TIPS FOR BEST RESULTS
- Purchase good quality baked beans.
- Use fresh produce and chop the ingredients evenly for the perfect texture.
- Ground sausage does not have to be cooked entirely through. Will continue to cook in the oven.
- Reserve extra crumbled bacon for garnish.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- In a freezer safe bag or container, store up to 6 months.
MORE JUNETEENTH IDEAS FOR YOU TO TRY
You can find all the information about this Juneteenth collaboration on Eat the Culture’s website, where you'll learn more about the different regions of Black cuisine we honor with our recipe contributions.
Cowboy Cuisine from the southwestern region of the United States honors the legacy of Black cowboys who forged physical trails in this country, as well as culinary and cultural trails. Southwestern soul food combines the flavors and ingredients of Southern cuisine with vibrant and spicy elements. Recipes like Bacon Jalapeño Deviled Eggs, Spicy Sausage and Baked Bean Casserole, and Strawberry Margaritas offer a unique fusion of bold flavors and culinary traditions.
- Big Delicious Life - Bacon Jalapeno Deviled Eggs
- Food Fidelity - Smoked Wings
- Food Fidelity - Rib Tips
- Collards Are The Old Kale - White Beans w/Tomato Chow Chow
- Sims Home Kitchen - Strawberry Margarita
- Chenée Today - Peach Cobbler Pound Cake
You can find a list of all recipes from the 2023 Juneteenth Virtual Cookout on the Eat the Culture website.
WHAT TO SERVE SAUSAGE AND BAKED BEAN CASSEROLE WITH
These recipes pair perfectly with spicy sausage and baked bean casserole!
The Best Spicy Sausage and Baked Bean Casserole
- 24 oz Canned Baked Beans
- 4-5 slices Bacon
- 8 oz Ground Sausage
- ¾ cup Green Pepper
- ¾ cup Red Onion
- 1 medium Jalapeno
- ¼ cup Barbeque Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Preparing the bacon according to package instructions. I prefer bacon baked in the oven at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- The bacon will need to be cooked until crispy.
- While the bacon cooks, prepare the ground spicy sausage by cooking and crumbling the sausage until brown in a skillet.
- While the bacon and sausage are cooking, roughly chop the red onion and green pepper.
- Measure the BBQ sauce, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- In an oven safe dish large enough to hold the ingredients, add the canned beans to the dish.
- Add the cooked and drained (and crumbled) spicy sausage and bacon.
- Add the jalapeno, red onion and green pepper.
- Finally, pour the BBQ sauce, mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and stir thoroughly until all ingredients are combined.
- Baked at 375 for 23-30 minutes until the sausage, baked beans and additional ingredients are cooked through and bubbly.
- Allow the beans to cool at least 15 minutes before serving.