Have fun recreating your favorite Homemade Chick-Fil-A Sandwich with Sauce that's finger-lookin' good. Starting with the perfect brine and crispiest seasoned coating, you'll never look at your favorite fast food version the same!Jump to Recipe
Copycat Chic-Fil-A Sandwich, yes please!
I haven't met a person who does not enjoy a good fried chicken sandwich. It's safe to say Chic-Fil-A has mastered this art! Who doesn't like to indulge with the tastiest piece of warm, crunchy fried chicken between two slices of bread and a dill pickle. This homemade Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich with special sauce is the perfect dupe.
First, with this smokey, honey mustard sauce and your favorite side, you've recreated an entire store bought meal, right in the comfort of your home. These fun food projects are perfect for the family on the weekend and are a great way to spend quality time.
This recipe has been tested and approved!
Second, it took a few attempts to get the perfect flavor and texture combination, I'm certain you won't be disappointed! The first batch, I was initially attempting a Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich and it was a complete fail. There's labor and love in this recipe!
Follow me on Instagram!
Helpful Recipe Substitutions
Don't have some of the ingredients on the list? Here are substitutions that will work!
- Substitute buttermilk with one cup of milk and one tablespoon of white vinegar. Pour in a cup, stir and let sit for five minutes.
- Do not skip the marinating process. Period.
- Substitute smoked salt by combining one tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of paprika.
- Substitute chicken thighs and trim any access fat if you don't have chicken breasts.
Next, frying chicken is no doubt an art and takes skill, let me say that. My first attempts were a complete fail and I had fun learning through the process. After learning a few techniques with achieving the crunchiest and most flavorful fried chicken, you'll be a pro!
Tips for Frying Perfect Chicken
Frying chicken can be seen as an art. Between knowing what oils to use, temperature of the oil and timing, this can result in beautifully golden fried chicken.
- Canola, peanut or vegetable oil works best.
- The temperature of the oil is crucial. Around 335 degrees farenheit if you have a thermometer on hand.
- Time is important. Do not rush the frying process, allow the chicken to moderately fry being careful not to agitate the chicken too much.
- Place cooked chicken on a wire or oven rack. Placing chicken on paper towels can make the crust become soggy.
Toppings are Our Friends!
Last, this sandwich is perfect as is. I enjoyed this sandwich with loads of dill pickles and sauce. Try adding these items below to kick it up a few notches!
- Lettuce and tomato
- American/ Cheddar Cheese
Looking for more homemade style meals that are quick, tasty and easy?
Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich with Special Sauce
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dill Pickle Juice
- 1 tbsp Smoked Salt
- 1.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1-1.5 cup Frying Oil used Canola Oil
- 2 Brioche Buns
- 4-6 Dill Pickles hamburger cut
Flour Base for Chicken
- 1 cup Self Rising Flour
- 3 tablespoon Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon Season All
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Lemon and Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Water
Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- ¼ cup Mayo
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Pickle Juice
- 3 tsp Honey
- 2 tablespoon BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 dashes Liquid Smoke
- In a medium sized bowl or baking dish, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, pickle juice and smoked salt.
- Stir until combined.
- Add chicken breasts and cover and marinate for at least one hour.
Chicken Coating for Frying
- Using a large plate, add flour, corn starch and dry seasonings stirring with a fork until well combined.
- Using a large dish to hold liquid, combine two eggs, water and salt and pepper.
- Whisk until eggs are beaten and additional ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- You should now have three dishes; buttermilk brine with chicken breasts, dry mix with flour, corn starch and seasonings and wet mix with beaten eggs.
- Remove chicken breasts from buttermilk brine and place in flour mixture coating breasts with flour.
- Remove chicken breasts from flour and shake to release access flour and place chicken breasts in egg wash mixture.
- Coat chicken breasts in egg wash mixture and once coated, place back into flour mixture coating chicken breasts one last time.
- This will become sticky but ensure chicken breasts are coated with as much seasoned coating as possible.
- Place coated chicken breasts on a plate until further use.
Frying Chicken Breasts
- In a large frying pan, add cooking oil and turn heat to medium (not high) heat.
- Allow time for oil to heat. After a few minutes, test oil by adding small drops of flour to see if oil is hot enough for frying. Oil is ready when test flour begins to sizzle and bubble in oil.
- Place coated chicken breasts in hot oil and begin frying being careful not to move chicken around.
- Allow chicken to fry 5-7 minutes on each side but flipping if needed so the coating doesn't burn.
- Continue to fry breasts until fully cooked through reaching internal temperature of 165 degrees fahrenheit.
- Remove chicken breasts from oil and place on a lined rack or plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Let chicken breasts rest at least five minutes before handling.
Chicken Sandwich Assembly
- In a medium sized pan on medium/high heat, place 1 teaspoon of butter in pan and sear brioche buns until crispy and golden.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing chicken breast on bun topping the breasts with pickles and desired sauce and topping with the bun.
- And finally enjoy your beautiful and tasty creation!
Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.