Beefaroni, a meal engrained on our taste buds and in our hearts. This Easy 20 Minute BeefaRoni with Smoked Mozzarella is made with with simple ingredients and tastes better than the canned version! Join in on this taste of nostalgia and be reminded of a time when life was simple.
ANOTHER RECIPE FROM GRANDMA'S NOTES!
I've started a series on my Instagram recreating meals from a gifted family cookbook and this is entry #2! Come join me over there, get to know me, connect and see a lot of behind the scenes footage at Seasoned To Taste!
This recipe was written out by my late Grandmother Alice, I've adapted the recipe a bit to fit today's time but the flavor is delicious and still rings true to the classic beefaroni by chef boyardee!
HOW DID BEEFARONI ORIGINATE?
Most of us come from the era of "30 minute meals". Ready made meals were a trend and most marketed the idea of one pot meals with protein and pasta.
When you hear the word "BeefaRoni" I'm certain like me, you instantly associate the term "Chef Boyardee" and rightfully so!
Boiardi opened a restaurant in 1924 in Cleveland and his spaghetti sauce became a hit! Customers began asking for his spaghetti sauce so he bottled in milk bottles would later on distribute it in a factory and the rest is history.
You can read more about the detailed history of his journey here.
THIS RECIPE IS THE NEWER AND IMPROVED VERSION OF BEEFARONI IN A CAN!
I have picky eaters in my home and this was a hit! This Easy 20 Minute BeefaRoni with Smoked Mozzarella has utilizes fresh herbs, cheese and vegetables provides the ultimate flavor and texture combo that will leave you satisfied.
HERE ARE A FEW TIPS TO MAXIMIZE FLAVOR AND TEXTURE
- Don't skip out on caramelizing the red onion. This adds a depth of flavor that you can't see but will surely taste.
- Use wine to deglaze the pan while caramelizing the onion if you have it on hand
- Find canned tomatoes with added herbs and seasoning.
- Use a soft melting cheese for extra creaminess and melting factors.
- Make sure to emerge the noodles in the liquid before covering your pot.
- Don't forget to set your timer for 20 minutes.
- Stir beefaroni while it simmers. Ingredients may stick to the pan.
HERE'S HOW TO MAKE THE GOURMET BEEFARONI RECIPE!
HOW TO DEGLAZE THE ONIONS
In a large skillet on medium high heat, add butter and once melted, add in chopped red onion. Saute', stirring constantly and add in salt and pepper. Bit will begin to stick to the bottom of the pan and this is flavor!
Deglaze pan with wine and scrape charred bits off the bottom of the pan.
ADDING IN REMAINING INGREDIENTS
Add in ground beef and seasonings, stir breaking down beef into smaller pieces. Add in canned tomatoes and stir.
Pour in macaroni noodle and beef broth and emerge noodles underneath liquid. Continue to stir and cover pan and cook for fifteen minutes until noodles are cooked through.
YOU'RE ALREADY AT THE FINAL STEP!
Lastly, noodles should be cooked through, turn off heat and add half of the cheese and parsley and stir. Top beefaroni with remaining cheese and parsley and serve immediately for best results!
Looking for more easy beef recipes? Check these out below!
Easy 20 Minute BeefaRoni with Smoked Mozzarella
Caramelized Red Onion
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1.5 cups Red Onion diced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 cups Macaroni Noodle
- ¼ cup Water (or wine)
- 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 14.5 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 7-8 oz Smoked Mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon Bouillon Flavor optional
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Season All
- ¼ cup Italian Dried Parsley
Caramelized Red Onion
- In a large skillet on medium/high heat, add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add chopped red onion and sauté stirring frequently.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper and continue to stir.
- Add in up to ¼ cup or water or wine to deglaze the pan. Scrape bits off the bottom of the pan and continue to cook until onions are caramelized. This takes about 10 minutes.
- To the same pan, add ground beef and cook breaking down into smaller bits.
- Add in seasonings and stir until well combined.
- Stir in canned tomatoes and beef broth.
- Pour in macaroni and stir until ingredients are thoroughly combined and noodles are emerged in liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes until noodles are cooked through and liquid has evaporated.
- Add in half of the cheese and parsley and stir.
- Top beefaroni with remaining cheese and parsley and serve immediately!