This Chili Baked Potato is the best loaded potato recipe; tender baked potatoes are stuffed with sweet chili for a hearty and delicious side dish or meal. Enjoy this on a busy weeknight for a family dinner, or serve it on game day as a Super Bowl appetizer.
Do you love loaded potatoes as much as I do? Then you have to try my Loaded Shrimp Baked Potato next!
If you are ever stuck on what to add to a baked potato, this chili baked potato recipe is the answer! Made with my Sweet Chili, this loaded baked potato with chili recipe is easy to make and a crowd pleaser.
Why You'll Love This Chili Baked Potato Recipe
Great Make-Ahead Meal. Making the chili ahead saves us 1 hour of cooking time. This is also a great way to use up leftover chili for lunch the next day.
Customizable. What I love most about baked potato recipes is all the fixings! There are so many ways to dress up a baked potato with chili and I have some tasty ideas.
Delicious Comfort Food. Fluffy baked potatoes are filling on their own, but add hot chili, and they get an instant upgrade!
The ingredients for baked potatoes with chili are pantry staples.
- Sweet Chili Recipe. This chili is perfectly savory with a delicious balance of sweetness due to the inclusion of chocolate. Don't knock it til you try it!
- Medium Russet Potatoes.
- Oil. Coat the potato skin with vegetable oil or avocado oil so it crisps nicely.
- Butter. Add butter to potato flesh for a buttery flavor.
- Seasoning. Season the potato skin with salt. Then add additional salt and black pepper to taste once the potatoes are baked.
- Toppings. Add shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, cilantro, and jalapenos as optional toppings.
How to Make a Chili Baked Potato
We use premade chili so this recipe takes just 1 hour to make.
Prepare Potatoes for Baking
Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees. Thoroughly clean the potatoes and pat them dry with a paper towel.
Then use a fork to poke holes all over the potatoes. Pour oil over potatoes, sprinkle with salt, and massage until fully covered.
Place the potatoes on a lined baking sheet uncovered and bake for 50-60 minutes until cooked through to the center.
Assemble Chili Baked Potatoes
Allow potatoes to cool off (5-10 minutes). Using a knife, slice potatoes down the center. Then use a fork to release potato flesh and add one tablespoon of butter to each potato.
Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Then add ¼ cup of cooked chili on top of the baked potato. Finally, top each potato with cheese, sour cream, chives, cilantro and sliced jalapeno.
Tips and Tricks
- You can cut your baking time in half by slicing the raw potatoes in half and placing them face down. Then it takes only 30 minutes to cook.
- Remember to pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times. This helps steam escape during baking.
- Before seasoning the baked potatoes, fluff them with a fork. This creates a soft, fluffy interior for the toppings to cling to.
What to Serve with Chili Baked Potato
Enjoy a baked potato with chili as a meal all on its own. But if you're making this for dinner, consider serving it with a simple salad or some roasted veggies.
- Potatoes: Instead of russet potatoes, you can use sweet potatoes. They are a bit healthier and also cook 10-15 minutes faster.
- Toppings: Try adding guacamole, green onions, or bacon bits for more baked potato topping ideas.
Can I make Chili Baked Potatoes in advance?
Absolutely! Make the chili up to 2 days ahead but the baked potatoes are best when baked and served immediately.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover baked potatoes by wrapping them in aluminum foil in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat them in the oven at 350ºF for about 15 minutes for the best results.
Store the chili separately, in an airtight container in the fridge. It has a shelf life of 5 days from when it is made.
Is a chili baked potato healthy?
Although I wouldn't call it healthy, this dish does have nutritional value. Baked potatoes are rich in fiber and vitamins and the chili adds protein and extra fiber due to the beans. For fewer calories, you can swap the beef in the chili for a leaner meat like ground chicken or ground turkey. You can also use less toppings.
Do baked potatoes cook faster with or without aluminum foil?
Baked potatoes cook faster without aluminum foil. If they are wrapped in aluminum foil, they take more time because the foil has to heat up first. Bake potatoes uncovered, without aluminum foil for the best results.
Does Wendy's have chili baked potatoes?
Wendy's offers a chili cheese baked potato that you can replicate from the comfort of your kitchen. So skip the drive thru and make chili baked potatoes at home!
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS BAKED POTATO WITH CHILI RECIPE!
Chili Baked Potato
- Sweet Chili Recipe
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Chives
- Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Large Jalapeno
- Prepare the sweet chili recipe.
Perfect Baked Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Thoroughly clean potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the potatoes.
- Pour oil over potatoes, sprinkle with salt and massage until fully covered.
- Place on a lined baking sheet uncovered and bake for 50-60 minutes until cooked through to the center.
- Allow potatoes to cool off (5-10 minutes).
- Using a knife, slice potatoes down the center and using a fork, release potato flesh and add one tablespoon of butter to each potato.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ¼ cup of cooked chili on top of the baked potato.
- Top each potato with cheese, sour cream, chives, cilantro and sliced jalapeno.