Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs are the perfect twist on traditional bagels and lox. It's savory, smoky, and a delicious way to celebrate Easter, brunch, or any special occasion. In under twenty minutes, wow your guests with this tasty appetizer that's sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
If you love this dish as much as I do, try these other deviled egg recipes next: cajun shrimp deviled eggs, bacon jalapeno deviled eggs, and crab deviled eggs.
I love recreating dishes and transforming them using new and fun ingredients. I was in the mood for a light snack and was bagel-less so I decided to take a stab at creating traditional deviled eggs but bagel and lox style.
Do you love savory and smoky flavors? The warm, crispy yet chewy bagel, fresh cream cheese, red onion, and smoked salmon topped with capers and pepper? Then smoked salmon deviled eggs are the best appetizer for you! It's all the additions without the bagel and voila!
Why You'll Love this Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Quick and Easy. In less than a half hour, you'll have a tasty appetizer or snack that everyone will be clamoring over!
- Super Delicious. Smoked salmon elevates basic deviled eggs. It's a fresh take on a classic egg dish.
- Perfect for Parties. This classic finger food is a great grab-and-mingle appetizer for a social event. Whether it's a party, brunch, holiday, or potluck, you can't go wrong with deviled eggs. But add salmon and this transforms from a basic appetizer to a fancy hors d'oeuvre!
Why is it called a deviled egg?
The "deviled" portion of deviled eggs is the creamy egg mixture. The mixture usually includes paprika or some other spicy element hence the term deviled. The phrase dates back to 18th century Oxford English which references a boiled dish that is highly seasoned.
You're just a few simple ingredients from the best smoked salmon deviled eggs.
- Eggs. You will need half a dozen to make 12 deviled eggs.
- Mayo. This is the base of all deviled egg recipes. It creates a creamy egg mixture.
- Red Onion. For a nice crunch and added flavor.
- Cream Cheese. This enriches the egg mixture. Make sure it is at room temperature so it mixes easier.
- Sweet Relish. The perfect balance for smoky salmon.
- Capers. The lemony tang and briny flavor of capers lighten this egg appetizer. They also make for a beautiful garnish.
- Smoked Salmon. Use good quality smoked salmon since this is the star ingredient.
- Seasoning. I used a blend of white pepper, garlic powder, and hot sauce for a touch of spice. I didn't include salt because smoked salmon is pretty salty on its own.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
Here's how deviled eggs with smoked salmon come together.
PERFECT HARD-BOILED EGGS
Gently place your eggs in a shallow pot and fill it with water just covering the eggs. Turn heat on medium/high heat and once the eggs begin to boil, turn off heat and cover for 15-20 minutes.
Peel the eggs and slice them in half and in a medium-sized bowl, add egg yolks. Place halved egg whites on paper towels to dry.
SMOKED SALMON DEVILED EGG MIXTURE
Then in the bowl with egg yolks, add mayo, red onion, softened cream cheese, sweet relish, capers, smoked salmon, white pepper, and hot sauce. Taste test and adjust seasonings to taste. Mix until creamy. Set aside.
SCOOP AND SERVE
Scoop egg mixture evenly into egg white cups and top with one additional smoked salmon. Finally, garnish with fresh dill, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- For easier peeling, place boiled eggs in an ice bath for five minutes before removing the shells.
- You can slice the hard-boiled eggs in half vertically instead of the typical horizontal way for a different presentation.
- For a more uniform presentation, put your crab-egg mixture in a piping bag.
- Taste your salmon before assembling the deviled eggs to determine if you'll need to add salt to your egg mixture.
- Want to up the fancy factor? Add salmon roe for garnish.
Can I make deviled eggs the night before?
Yes. You can boil the eggs ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to a week. This will save you some prep time.
How to Store Leftovers
If you plan to have leftovers, you should reserve the egg yolk filling and egg whites separately in the fridge. Wrap the egg whites in plastic wrap and place the filling in an air-tight container. This will keep the deviled eggs moist. Leftovers will last up to 2 days in the fridge.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS SMOKED SALMON DEVILED EGGS RECIPE!
If you try this recipe, I'd love to see it! Share it with me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
- 6 Eggs
- 2 tablespoon Mayo
- ¼ cup Red Onion
- 3 tablespoon Cream Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Relish
- 2 tablespoon Capers
- ¼ cup Smoked Salmon
- ½ teaspoon White Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3-4 dashes Hot Sauce
- Gently place eggs in a shallow pot. Fill with water covering eggs.
- Once eggs begin to boil, turn off heat and cover for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel eggs, slice in half and in a medium sized bowl, add egg yolks. Place halved egg whites on paper towels to dry.
- In the bowl with egg yolks, add listed ingredients beginning with mayo. Taste test and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Mix until creamy. Set aside.
- Scoop egg mixture evenly into egg white cups and top with one additional smoked salmon.
- Garnish with fresh dill and enjoy!
Leave a Reply