Cold spinach dip made with frozen spinach is a creamy mixture of steamed spinach, mayo, sour cream, and Knorr soup mix. This quick and easy no-bake recipe is the perfect appetizer for parties and gatherings.
For more healthy dip recipes, try my Baked Spinach and Shrimp Dip and Whipped Ricotta and Goat Cheese Dip with Pancetta next!
Cold spinach dip served in a bread bowl is the perfect centerpiece for any social gathering. Served cool, and creamy, with plenty of savory veggie flavor, you'll win the crowd over with this delicious vegetable dip!
- Why You'll Love this Spinach Dip Recipe
- Is spinach dip supposed to be hot or cold?
- How to Make Cold Spinach Dip
- Tips and Tricks
- What to Eat with Cold Spinach Dip
- How to Store Leftovers
- Can I make this in advance?
- TRY THESE OTHER DIP RECIPES!
- Cold Spinach Dip (With Frozen Spinach)
Why You'll Love this Spinach Dip Recipe
- Versatile. There are so many ways to make this dip your own! And you can serve the finished product with anything.
- Quick and Easy. Simply steam your spinach, mix the ingredients, then serve!
- A Healthier Snack. This naturally gluten-free dip is packed with nutritious spinach. Below I include substitutes for mayonnaise that make this recipe even better for you!
- Perfect for Special Occasions. This is great for game days, parties, baby showers, and gatherings as an appetizer, snack, or starter.
Is spinach dip supposed to be hot or cold?
This dip is best served cold, this is a great alternative to the popular baked or warmed spinach dip. In other words, this version is the opposite of the typical restaurant style spinach dip.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up the best dip in no time!
- Frozen Spinach. Steamed and drained thoroughly.
- Mayo. This rich and creamy condiment is the foundation of this recipe.
- Sour Cream. This adds to the creamy consistency but has less fat than mayonnaise so it's a perfect addition.
- Knorr Veggie Mix. Once labeled "soup mix", this veggie mix provides that classic herby flavor we crave.
- Cracked Black Pepper. For a bit of spice.
- Lemon Juice. This adds a fresh pop of citrus flavor in order to lighten the dip up a bit.
- Green Onion. For a slightly spicy, peppery flavor, include this ingredient.
How to Make Cold Spinach Dip
When you're busy hosting, the last thing you want to do is run around the kitchen. This recipe is so easy to make!
Steam frozen spinach, according to package instructions. Be sure to drain steamed spinach thoroughly.
Add steamed spinach to a large mixing bowl. Then add in mayo, sour cream, knorr veggie mix, black pepper, lemon juice, and green onion. Stir thoroughly until all ingredients are combined.
Finally, pour in a bread bowl or serving bowl. Serve with crusty bread, crackers, and veggies.
Tips and Tricks
- It is imperative that the frozen spinach is drained thoroughly after steaming or warming it in the microwave. If this step is omitted, it will ruin the recipe because the dip will taste soupy.
- Make this ahead of time, it's like wine, as it sits, the flavors develop and the vegetable soup mix softens and marinades with the other ingredients.
- You can use fresh spinach, it just needs to be "cooked"/sauteed and drained thoroughly.
- Add Water Chestnuts: For a nice crunch, add this nutritious aquatic vegetable to the mix.
- Cream Cheese: For a delicious tang and a thicker consistency, add cream cheese.
- Hot Spinach Dip: If you prefer this dip hot, then add the combined ingredients to a baking dish and top with grated parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes (or until the top is browned and bubbly).
- Greek Yogurt: For a lighter consistency (and fewer calories) use nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise and sour cream. This is a great low-fat alternative that will yield a similar taste and texture.
- Crab and Spinach Dip: Make this delicious dip decadent by adding lump crab meat or even imitation crab.
- Without Soup Mix: Use a packet of onion soup mix instead. Alternatively, combine one tablespoon of vegetable bouillon, half a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and your choice of herbs.
- Add Artichoke: Use one can of drained and chopped artichoke hearts. This adds some nutrients to the mix as well as a distinct nutty flavor.
- With Fresh Spinach: If substituting frozen spinach for fresh, you will need to use more fresh spinach because it wilts as it cooks. So for every 10 ounces of frozen spinach, use 1 pound of fresh spinach. Remember to squeeze them dry before adding them to the other ingredients.
What to Eat with Cold Spinach Dip
- Bread: Spinach dip served in a bread bowl is common but you can also dip chunks of toasted bread into it.
- Crunchy Snacks: Serve it on a platter with crackers, tortilla chips, breadsticks, or pretzels.
- Vegetables: Keep this dip low-carb by serving it with broccoli, peas, peppers, and celery.
- Spread: Use it as a topping for burgers and sandwiches.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover dip in the fridge for up to 4 days. Be sure to wrap it with aluminum foil or store it in an airtight container. To freeze, place it in a freezer-safe bag and consume it within 3 months. To defrost it, set it in the fridge to thaw overnight.
Can I make this in advance?
Yes. It tastes better after chilling in the fridge for a few hours. You can make it up to 24 hours ahead of serving. Just store it in the refrigerator overnight.
TRY THESE OTHER DIP RECIPES!
- Old Fashioned Pimento Cheese
- Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
- Cheesy Shrimp and Spinach Dip
- Chipotle Copycat Corn Salsa
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS EASY SPINACH DIP RECIPE!
If you try this recipe, I'd love to see it! Share it with me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Cold Spinach Dip (With Frozen Spinach)
- 3 packs Frozen Spinach steamed and drained thoroughly
- 2 cups Mayo
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 package Knorr Veggie Mix
- 2 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Green Onion
- Steam frozen spinach, according to package instructions. Be sure to drain steamed spinach thoroughly.
- Add steamed spinach to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in mayo, sour cream, knorr veggie mix, black pepper, lemon juice and green onion.
- Stir thoroughly until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour in a bread bowl or serving bowl. Serve with crusty bread, crackers and veggies.
Leave a Reply