This easy pizza casserole recipe is layered with marinara sauce, fresh veggies, and your favorite toppings piled high with gooey cheese. Make this pizza casserole recipe without pasta for a low-carb, keto-friendly meal that the whole family will enjoy!
If you love this recipe, then you have to try Mexican Pizza with Shredded Chicken, Easy One Pot Lasagna, Stovetop Savannah Red Rice with Andouille Sausage, and 20 Minute Blackened Chicken with Pineapple Salsa next!
This is the best pizza casserole recipe! If you're craving pizza but need to cut back on carbs and calories, this is the way to go!
The idea for this easy pizza casserole stemmed from ordering a delicious pizza bowl from Marcos Pizza a few weeks back. I couldn't get it off of my mind. This is my attempt at recreating that tasty recipe and trust me, it did not disappoint. If you enjoy recreating takeout recipes at home, this is a must-try!
It's just as saucy, cheesy, and flavorful as pizza delivery. You won't miss the pizza crust because you'll be too busy scooping more onto your plate!
- Why You'll Love This Pizza Casserole Recipe
- What Type of Baking Dish Works Best for Pizza Casserole?
- Pizza Casserole Ingredients
- How to Make a Pizza Casserole
- Check out this Step by Step Visual for Preparing a Pizza Casserole!
- Tips and Tricks
- Recipe Variations
- How to Store Leftovers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Easy and The Best Supreme Pizza Baked Casserole
Why You'll Love This Pizza Casserole Recipe
- Easy to Make. There's no homemade pizza crust to fuss over and no pasta to cook. Simply layer the ingredients in a cast iron skillet and bake! It's ready in less than 40 minutes so it's a quick weeknight meal (or a pizza night extravaganza).
- Healthier Than Regular Pizza. With no dough, this baked pizza casserole has fewer carbs than traditional pizza. If you love meat and cheese, then you'll definitely get your fill with this recipe!
- Family Friendly. This easily serves 4-5 people. And I urge you to include your littles if they are hanging around. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed helping me prepare each layer of this recipe after I prepped and sliced the ingredients.
What Type of Baking Dish Works Best for Pizza Casserole?
I use a deep, large cast iron skillet to make this pizza casserole recipe. But if you don't have a cast iron skillet or large skillet, no worries. Any oven-safe, deep casserole dish will work perfectly. However, it's important to note that the size of the baking dish needs to be at least 9x13".
Pizza Casserole Ingredients
On your way home tonight, grab these items from your local grocer. Or, depending on your favorite pizza toppings, now is the time to make your grocery list. Be sure to add all of your favorite toppings!
- Marinara Sauce. Use your favorite store-bought tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce.
- Can Diced Tomatoes. This makes the meal heartier and adds texture. I like to use a canned variety with herbs and garlic.
- Crumbled Turkey Sausage. Precooked.
- Pepperoni. This is a popular pizza topping for meat lovers.
- Sliced Black Olives.
- Chopped Garlic.
- Green Pepper.
- Sliced Red Onion.
- Feta Cheese Crumbles. Feta cheese adds a salty, tangy, and creamy quality that is the perfect finish to this pizza casserole. But if you are not a fan of feta feel free to leave it out.
- Italian Seasoning. A sprinkle after assembling the casserole is the perfect finishing touch!
- Mozzarella Cheese. Traditionally, mozzarella is used as a main ingredient when preparing pizza. I did not stray away from this idea and strongly suggest using mozzarella. In this recipe, I purchased pre-shredded cheese and it melted just fine. If you have more time, by all means, buy fresh mozzarella and shred it on your own. Cheddar cheese or any shredding/melting cheese will work though.
How to Make a Pizza Casserole
It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare this dish for the oven.
Preheat Oven & Prepare Toppings
First, you will want to preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grab whatever baking dish you have set aside to use for this recipe. Then organize all of your favorite toppings and prep them.
Begin by roughly chopping the green pepper, thinly slicing the red onion, and chopping the garlic-if you are using fresh, jarred works best for this recipe! Lastly, gather all of your store-bought ingredients and measure them, it's time to build this fun pizza casserole.
Layer Pizza Casserole
Add the marinara sauce to the baking dish. Then pour the crushed tomatoes over the marinara sauce. Using a spatula or spoon, gently stir the marinara sauce and crushed tomatoes until combined.
Next, sprinkle ⅓ of the shredded cheese over the marinara sauce and crushed tomato mixture. This helps to bind the casserole since we have omitted the carb ingredient so do not skip this step!
Layer the prepared meats. Then add on your fresh veggies. Add the remaining pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, ensuring the cheese is evenly distributed.
Lastly, layer the pepperoni slices on top of the mozzarella cheese, add the sliced black olives, crumbled feta cheese, and dust with Italian seasoning.
Bake Pizza Casserole
Finally, bake the pizza baked casserole at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for up to 30 minutes or until the sauce and cheese is bubbly (and melted) and veggies are cooked through.
It is important to note, the casserole is best served after resting for at least fifteen minutes. This ensures the ingredients are settled and coagulated. Serve with a crunchy salad on the side and enjoy!
Check out this Step by Step Visual for Preparing a Pizza Casserole!
Tips and Tricks
- The deeper the baking, the better. This allows you to pile the toppings high for a more filling meal.
- If you cook the sausage yourself, remember to drain any excess grease so it doesn't affect your casserole.
- Meat. You can use any precooked meat you prefer including Italian sausage, ground turkey, or ground beef.
- Cheese Pizza Casserole. In the event that you would like to omit meats from this dish, by all means, leave it out!
- Cheese. Feel free to add parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, goat cheese, or cottage cheese.
- More Veggies. Add more vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers.
- Pizza Pasta Casserole. If you aren't avoiding carbs, add your favorite cooked pasta (al dente). Add it right after coating the bottom of the pan with crushed tomatoes and marinara sauce. Penne pasta would be perfect for this recipe!
How to Store Leftovers
Store room-temperature leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave. If you would like to freeze this recipe, simply store it in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to cook the veggies before baking this pizza casserole?
This depends on preference but I suggest leaving the veggies raw before baking. Since the crust is omitted in this recipe, you will want as much texture to satisfy your experience. With this in mind, simply slice or small dice your favorite pizza veggies and throw them in the baking dish. Let the oven do the rest of the work!
Can I make a pizza casserole in advance?
Assemble the pizza casserole in a baking dish and tightly cover it with plastic wrap and either refrigerate it or freeze it. If you are preparing this meal to be frozen from the start, omit the cheese and add it once you're ready to bake.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS PIZZA CASSEROLE RECIPE!
Easy and The Best Supreme Pizza Baked Casserole
- 23-24 oz Jarred Marinara Sauce
- 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes (with herbs and garlic)
- 1 cup Crumbled Turkey Sausage
- 1 cup Pepperoni
- 2 oz Sliced Black Olives
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- 1 cup Green Pepper
- 1 cup Sliced Red Onion
- ½ cup Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 3-4 cups Mozzarella Cheese (or less)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, you will want to grab all of your favorite toppings and begin prepping.
- Begin by roughly chopping the green pepper, thinly slicing the red onion and chopping the garlic-if you are using fresh.
- Pour the marinara sauce and crushed tomatoes and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Next, sprinkle one third of the shredded cheese over the marina sauce and crushed tomato mixture.
- Layer the prepared meats and the crumbled turkey sausage. Then, layer on your fresh veggies.
- Add the remaining pre-shredded mozzarella cheese ensuring the cheese is evenly distributed.
- Lastly, layer the pepperoni slices on top of the mozzarella cheese, add the sliced black olives, crumbled feta cheese and dust with Italian seasoning.
- Bake the pizza baked casserole at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for up to thirty minutes or until the sauce and cheese is bubbly (and melted) and veggies are cooked through.
- The casserole is best served after resting for at least fifteen minutes. This ensures the ingredients are settled and coagulated. Serve with a crunchy salad on the side and enjoy!