Nothing screams fall more than baked apples, cinnamon and allspice! With just a few additional ingredients, prepare The Best Breakfast Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal you'll ever have. Breakfast is made easier with this make-ahead meal that can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator to be enjoyed all week!
There is nothing greater than finding healthier ways to enjoy our favorite meals. With that said, I am happy to share this tasty dupe on an apple crumble. Sometimes for breakfast, you just want something sweet and while I'm new to baked oatmeal, I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to prepare. First, it comes together in minutes and second, the flavor and texture is outstanding and lastly, it can be made ahead of time for grab and go!
As mentioned, this recipe consists of baked oats. In this instance, I used instant oats but feel free to use what you have on hand. I tested this recipe a few times and I am happy to share these easy, pantry and fridge staples that I'm certain you have on hand. Make ahead at the beginning of the week and you will look forward to warming this recipe up every morning. And did I mention the amazing aroma that permeates as well?!
I like my apple pie with lots of texture, there's a few additions I've added that I am certain you will appreciate. Be sure not to skip out on that step.
Ingredients to make Breakfast Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal
As mentioned, the ingredients are simple. You can certainly substitute most of the listed items to fit your dietary needs. I'll share those tips a little later in the blog post. In detail, here's what you will need.
- Instant Oatmeal
- Baking Powder
- Ground Allspice
- Peanut Butter
- Cooking Spray
To clarify, there are several dietary restrictions so I would like to list substitutions if you are dairy free or just interested in alternative ingredients.
Substitutions to make the oatmeal
- Instant Oatmeal or Rolled Oats work with this recipe. Just be sure to adjust baking times.
- Eggs substitute can be ½ cup of Apple Sauce.
- Whole milk, Almond or any dairy or nut free milk works.
How to make Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal
Begin by placing the measured oats in a large mixing bowl. Next, pour in all dry ingredients. In this case, the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ground allspice. Using a whisk or a spoon, stir the dry ingredients until well combined.
At this instant, pour in the diced apples, vanilla extract, honey, milk, and egg. Mix until thoroughly combined and well coated. It's important to note that the baking dish utilized to bake the apple pie oatmeal needs to be greased or oiled. This helps the oatmeal not to stick to the baking dish when it is time to serve and enjoy.
Now, pour the oatmeal mixture into the greased baking dish and flatten mixture into baking dish to release any air bubbles. This is optional but top apple pie oats with slices of fresh apple and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until cooked through to the center.
Another key point to know when the oatmeal is baked through is, sticking a toothpick or knife in the middle of the baking dish and if the tool is clean the dish is baked through. However, if there's residue or moisture on the toothpick or knife, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Additional Toppings for the Oatmeal
The most enjoyable part of this recipe besides devouring it are the fun toppings that can be added. If you are new to my blog and have made it this far, you will be happy to know that toppings on any recipe are my absolute favorite! This recipe does not disappoint. Here are a few healthy options to take this recipe to the next level.
- Warm Peanut Butter-simply warm 1 tablespoon of peanut butter in the microwave on 30 second intervals until the consistency is pourable and smooth.
- Vanilla or Plain Greek Yogurt- Simply dollop 1 tablespoon of yogurt on top and it is the best substitution for whipped cream. Enjoy!
- Nut Granola-As mentioned earlier, to add extra crunch, simple sprinkle ½ tablespoon of granola over your serving of baked breakfast apple pie oatmeal and experience a texture close to baked apple crumble!
- Extra Sliced Apples- This addition is pretty self explanatory, nothing beats extra fresh apples on top.
How to store and reheat the Breakfast Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal
As mentioned, this dish can be stored into the refrigerator for up to three days in an air tight container. Simply leave the toppings on the side until warmed and ready to eat.
If wanting to reheat, simply take a serving and place on a microwave safe plate and heat for up to one minute until heated through. Lastly, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
The Best Breakfast Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal
- 1 cup Instant Oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 cup Apple
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter topping
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Greek Yogurt topping
- 1 tablespoon Granola topping
- Begin by placing the measured oats in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in all dry ingredients. In this case, the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ground allspice. Using a whisk or a spoon, stir the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Pour in the diced apples, vanilla extract, honey, milk, and egg. Mix until thoroughly combined and well coated.
- It's important to note that the baking dish utilized to bake the apple pie oatmeal needs to be greased or oiled.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into the greased baking dish and flatten mixture into baking dish to release any air bubbles.
- Top apple pie oats with slices of fresh apple and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until cooked through to the center.
- The oatmeal is baked through when a toothpick or knife comes out clean when testing in the middle of the dish.
- However, if there's residue or moisture on the toothpick or knife, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.