Learn how to make this bourbon peach smash recipe filled with peaches and fresh herbs. This fruity and refreshing cocktail is sure to please any crowd. The star of this show is the homemade honey-lemon simple syrup that adds a rich finish!
WHAT IS A BOURBON SMASH?
I've always heard of a bourbon smash but never tried one until now! As my cocktail taste matures, I'm finding solace using premium liquors and wines to satisfy my thirst.
To explain, a bourbon smash is a cocktail consisting typically of crushed ice, fresh herbs and a chosen liquor. There's no specific liquor that is used, all can work but today we will discuss bourbon!
Undoubtedly, this drink should be enjoyed during the warmer seasons as it compliments hot weather and providing a refreshing finish!
WHY BOURBON PEACH SMASH?
This bourbon peach smash recipe is perfect for a warm summer's day. Similar to the traditional, this tasty cocktail has the addition of peaches, peach flavored bourbon and strawberries.
With that said, depending
WHAT TYPE OF BOURBON SHOULD I USE?
Bourbon is a type of American whiskey made from corn. With notes of vanilla, oak, caramel and spice, bourbon is the perfect addition to the ingredients in this recipe. I tested this recipe with several brands of bourbon, even a peach bourbon. Without doubt, use what you have on hand and more importantly, good quality bourbon is what works best! Here are a few recommendations that is not the ultimate rule for this bourbon peach smash recipe but merely a suggestion:
To learn more about the fascinating history of bourbon, click here!
COCKTAIL TOOLS NEEDED
As you'll note in the recipe video, this cocktail is so much fun to make! For example, muddling the fresh herbs is quite pleasing to prepare and the aromas that release are heavenly.
Preparing the honey-lemon simple syrup will be a game changer also! Be sure to certainly not skip this step.
Here's what you'll need:
- Cocktail Shaker- A cocktail shaker is a tall typically metal cup that has a strainer and lid that allows you to shake cocktail ingredients with ice. Typically this instrument is used to create drinks that are shaken (not stirred) and will be served cold. Although if you don't have a shaker, use a large cup of some sort that has a lid that can be tightly secured during the shaking process.
- Cocktail Muddler- This tool is so much fun to use! To explain, a muddler is sort of a "hammer" or "masher" in the cocktail making process. This tool is typically used to smash and break down herbs and fruits that releases their aromatics and juices making for earthy and tasty cocktails. However, if you don't have a muddler on hand, use a large plastic or wooden kitchen utensil with a flat surface (or use the long handle portion) and it should work the same!
There are a few additional household kitchen items needed such as a small saucepan, mason jar (with lid), cutting board and knife but I'm certain you have those on hand!
With just a handful of ingredients, you'll have a tasty cocktail to enjoy and share in under 10 minutes! Here's what you'll need:
- Bourbon- as mentioned, choose the bourbon that works best for you!
- Fresh or frozen Strawberries- either works best, choose what you have on hand.
- Fresh or frozen Peaches- fresh is always better but remember peaches are not always in season.
- Mint-Fresh is best.
- Basil-Always use fresh herbs!
- Honey-Lemon Simple Syrup-only two ingredients, keep reading to learn how to make this!
- Peach Nectar or Peach Juice
- Sparkling Peach Drink-any sparkling soda will work, this is what I used. Any light flavored soda will work.
HONEY-LEMON SIMPLE SYRUP
With just two ingredients, you'll never look at simple syrup the same. After making and using this honey-lemon syrup, you'll want to use this ingredient forever!
In a small saucepan on medium heat, add the honey and water and begin stirring. Continue to stir until the ingredients begin to dissolve and smooth out turning into a runny consistency. Then squeeze in fresh lemon juice and do a final stir. This helps the honey to not become hard and clumpy when shaken with ice during the cocktail making step of the recipe.
Store the completed honey simple syrup in a mason jar with a lid (or airtight container) and store in the refrigerator. This tasty honey-lemon simple syrup will last 4-6 weeks chilled.
HOW TO MAKE BOURBON PEACH SMASH RECIPE
First, prepare the honey-lemon simple syrup by following the instructions in the recipe card or in the above paragraph. Allow the syrup to cool completely before pouring in the jar with lid. Next, prep your ingredients by slicing the strawberries, mint and basil and set aside.
Then, begin preparing the cocktails by adding ice to two glasses, half way full adding half of the prepped strawberries, peaches, mint and basil. This step will make the drink appeasing and creates a layered effect. Next, add the remaining herbs to the cocktail shaker and using the muddler, begin mashing the herbs for 20-30 seconds.
Now, add ice, bourbon, honey-lemon simple syrup and peach juice. Shake well for about 10-15 seconds until the ingredients are combined. At this step, add more ice to the glass until it's full. Then, pour the mixed cocktail into both glasses leaving about 2 inches of space at the top. Lastly, top each cocktail with sparkling peach soda.
Garnish with leftover mint and enjoy!
How To Make Bourbon Peach Smash Recipe
- Cocktail Shaker
- Small Saucepan
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 1 oz Honey-Lemon Simple Syrup
- 1 cup Peach Nectar or Juice
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen Strawberries
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen Peaches
- ¼ cup Fresh Basil
- ¼ cup Fresh Mint
- ¼-1/2 cup Sparkling Peach Drink
Honey-Lemon Simple Syrup
- 1 cup Honey
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Honey-Lemon Simple Syrup
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, add the honey and water and begin stirring.
- Continue to stir until the ingredients begin to dissolve and smooth out, turning into a runny consistency.
- Then squeeze in fresh lemon juice and do a final stir.
- Allow simple syrup to cool completely and store in a jar with lid until further use.
Strawberry Peach Bourbon Smash
- Prepare the cocktails by adding ice to two glasses, half way full, adding half of the prepped strawberries, peaches, mint and basil.
- Next, add the remaining herbs to the cocktail shaker and using the muddler, begin mashing the herbs for 20-30 seconds.
- Now, add ice, bourbon, honey-lemon simple syrup and peach juice and shake well for about 10-15 seconds until the ingredients are combined.
- Add more ice to the glass until it's full, then, pour the mixed cocktail into both glasses leaving about 2 inches of space at the top.
- Lastly, top each cocktail with sparkling peach soda and garnish with leftover mint and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, try: