This fall Thanksgiving Margarita is cozy, spicy and sweet. A traditional margarita recipe is enhanced with orange and vanilla liqueurs, shaken with cinnamon and allspice. Serve this eccentric cocktail at your next holiday gathering!
The holidays call for festive cocktails and this Thanksgiving Margarita is the margarita you did not know you needed. We certainly make room for sangrias and martinis around this season but ever considered a spicy margarita to get you in the holiday spirit?
This fall inspired spicy margarita will provide all the Thanksgiving (and holiday) feels you are searching for. From the overall aesthetic of this cocktail and the instant flavors (and aromas) of cinnamon and allspice, prepare to be wowed by your guests.
Margaritas are typically served during the warmer months, this fall style margarita will change your idea around fall cocktail recipes!
Why You'll Love This Thanksgiving Margarita Recipe
Aesthetically Pleasing. Fall colors of brown and orange with cinnamon sticks, apples, rosemary and cranberries. This cocktail resembles everything fall, resemble images of leaves and pumpkins!
Unique. This cocktail is so unique, typically margaritas can be sweet or spicy. This cocktail has notes of spice and sweetness from the apple cider.
Customizable. Add your favorite fall inspired fruits and herbs to make this cocktail festive. Make a large batch to serve to a larger crowd.
What is a Margarita?
A traditional margarita consists of Tequila, Triple Sec, and lime juice. Served with a salted rim, this popular cocktail has history dating back to the early 1960's and has origins in Tijuana, Mexico.
This cocktail has many variations added throughout the years that you are certainly familiar with. Served, frozen, on the rocks, Texas style or with fruit additions just to name a few. Furthermore, there is even a 'skinny' version that promotes less calories using fresh lime juice and honey, cutting out the carbs and extra sugar.
Whatever your vice is, there is no secret why this drink has such great popularity.
Fall Thanksgiving Margarita Ingredients
Poured into a cinnamon sugar rimmed glass, garnished with fresh apple slices, pears, cranberries, rosemary and cinnamon sticks, this is the thanksgiving cocktail you didn't know you needed!
- Tequila. Blanco or reposado works best with this recipe but absolutely use what you have on hand. The lighter tequila works best as the heavier tequilas (like mezcal) can tend to overpower
- Lime Juice. Fresh is best. In traditional margaritas, lime juice is key!
- Orange Liqueur. As mentioned, we are creating flavors of fall, this orange liqueur is a key ingredient. I used this brand here. Grand Mariner and Cointreau are great alternatives too.
- Liquor 43. This liqueur is a hidden gem. With notes of citrus, botanic, sweet and floral, no surprise why this ingredient is a must. I also use this in my Irish Breakfast Shot recipe.
- Cinnamon. By adding just a dash of ground cinnamon really provides the "fall feels" as mentioned previously. We are also using cinnamon to rim the glass, yum!
- Allspice. Similar to cinnamon, this spice provides flavors of clove and pumpkin. Perfect for the theme of this recipe!
- Apple. Slice fresh apples thin to garnish the cocktail.
- Rosemary. For garnish.
- Sugar. By mixing white sugar with cinnamon, the rim of the cocktail glass will be dusted with this mixture.
How To Make Fall Thanksgiving Margarita
In just a few, simple steps prepare the tastiest cocktail perfect for the upcoming holiday. Here is how you dress the rim of the glass.
How To Dress The Rim of The Cocktail
First, pour cinnamon and sugar onto a small plate and stir until well combined. On another small plate, add about 2-3 tablespoons of water or a sticky substance like honey.
Next, take the the rim of the glass and dip it into the water or sticky substance. Now, cover the rim of the glass with the cinnamon and sugar mixture and set aside.
Prepare the Margarita
At this moment, using a cocktail shaker, pour in the tequila, Orange Liqueur, Liquor 43, lime juice, cinnamon, allspice and top with ice. Shake vigorously for thirty seconds until ingredients are well combined.
In the dressed cocktail glasses, add about a half a cup of ice. Then, pour shaken margarita mix over the ice and garnish with apple slices, oranges and rosemary.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE A LARGER BATCH
You can certainly make this cocktail (that written recipe serves two) into a larger batch. The ingredients and measurements below will create 10 servings and can be made in a medium sized pitcher.
- 1 ¼ Cups Tequila
- 2 Tablespoons, 1 ½ Teaspoons Lime Juice
- ¼ Cups, 1 Tablespoons Orange Liqueur
- ¼ Cups, 1 Tablespoons Liquor 43
- ¼ Teaspoons Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoons Allspice
- This cocktail is best served immediately, prepare this when you are ready to serve. You can certainly prepare this ahead of time also, just omit the ice.
- Use quality tequila. Enough said here right? 🙂
- The ice will melt fast and will dilute the drink, adding ice is optional better yet, the bigger the ice cubes the better.
- You can serve this cocktail "neat" (without ice) as it will have chill since it's been shaken in the cocktail shaker.
- Try this frozen. Simply add about one cup of ice and blend this drink for an elevated surprise of chill and texture!
- Can't locate Liquor 43? A Spanish Liqueur with notes of vanilla, simply replace with any vanilla flavored liqueur.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS THANKSGIVING MARGARITA RECIPE!
Fall Thanksgiving Recipe
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 2 oz Tequila Cinnamon Sugar Rim Sliced Apple Rosemary
- ½ tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon Orange Liqueur
- 1 tablespoon Liquor 43
- 1 dash Cinnamon
- 1 dash Allspice
- 1 small Apple thinly sliced
- 1 small Orange sliced
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
Dress The Rim of The Cocktail
- First, pour cinnamon and sugar onto a small plate and stir until well combined.
- On another small plate, add about 2-3 tablespoons of water or a sticky substance like honey.
- Next, take the the rim of the glass and dip it into the water or sticky substance.
- Now, cover the rim of the glass with the cinnamon and sugar mixture and set aside.
Prepare the Margarita
- Using the cocktail shaker, pour in the tequila, Orange Liqueur, Liquor 43, lime juice, cinnamon, allspice and top with ice.
- Shake vigorously for thirty seconds until ingredients are well combined.
- In the dressed cocktail glasses, add about a half a cup of ice.
- Pour shaken margarita mix over the ice and garnish with apple slices, oranges and rosemary.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!